Should I Give Up?

Izuku and Katsuki went to school as young children together. Katsuki found Izuku as an easy target.

All Izuku tried to do was be Katsuki's friend, but Katsuki saw him as less of a person.

'Why would I wanna be friends with a quirkless nerd?'

Almost daily, Izuku was used at Katsuki's punching bag at recess or after school. Teachers wouldn't help.

'Boys will be boys.'

Was a terrible and sexist excuse for violence to pass like that. Izuku would have burn marks and bruises. He'd be crying after recess.

'Sit down in your seat. Stop causing a scene, Midoriya! Or you'll get detention.'

Izuku truly felt so alone. Why did he deserve this? Why couldn't people treat him like a human?

One day, Katsuki went too far. He became so angry at Izuku for trying to stick up for himself. Izuku claimed he would become a hero to arrest him one day.

'YOU'RE NOTHING! I WILL BE A HERO!'

Katsuki's explosion quirk was too strong. It almost costed Izuku's life.

Only then, was when people had listened.

Only then, was Katsuki expelled from school and sent away to get management for his behavior.

...

"...That is the whole truth." Izuku kept a serious expression on his face. He was delighted that he was making Katsuki look bad in front of Kazuno.

Kazuno looked from Izuku to Katsuki and back to Izuku again. She was at a loss for words. Looking at Katsuki in the present, something wasn't right. Those eyes looked like he was just as upset about the past as Izuku was.

She didn't believe that Izuku would lie to her though. She knew him slightly better than she knew Katsuki. Her expression changed to one that was hard for Katsuki to look at. She almost looked disgusted. "That's terrible..."

"Right?" Izuku sneered.

Katsuki's anger started rising up. (I'm not like that anymore!)

There was a twinge of sadness. (I... deserve this.)

It is why he pushed people away. He doesn't think he should befriend anyone else. Not after what he's done. Izuku wasn't his only victim. He's hurt many others in the past.

He just doesn't recall their names or faces.

"You should stay away from him. You may get hurt by him too." Izuku warned Kazuno. That triggered something in Katsuki.

"I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" Katsuki furiously argued. This was the loudest his voice was heard.

Kazuno flinched. She instinctively took a step back. He may not have hurt her at all, but she didn't like where the conversation was going. She didn't want them to get into an argument. She knew how sensitive she could be at times, and she didn't want to cry in front of them.

It was too late though. After hearing about Izuku's past, she felt sympathy for him. Not only that, Katsuki's yelling startled her.

"Stop yelling." She tried to make her voice sound as confident as she possibly could. It was clear that her voice was shaking.

"Yeah, look. You're scaring her, Ba-ku-go." Izuku pointed out purposely. He was enjoying this inside his mind.

"Shut up!" Katsuki grabbed Izuku's collar. He knew how to press his buttons.