Do You Hear The Bells?

The next day, it was time for lunch at the hospital. Kazuno was able to go since she was healed too. She decided that it would be a good time to talk things out with her sister.

Katsuki went with her to help give her courage. She was really nervous at the idea of apologizing. She wasn't sure how Mikoto would respond.

After they got their food, she sat down next to Mikoto. Shoto was sitting at Mikoto's other side.

"Hey, Mikoto..." Kazuno started nervously. "I need to tell you something."

Mikoto's body tensed up from hearing Kazuno's voice. She didn't even meet her eyes. Not at all. All she could utter was, "What?"

"I'm sorry, ok?" Kazuno looked down at the table. She felt too ashamed to look her in the eyes. "Not just about what happened in the fight, although that was terrible of me to do. I'm sorry for everything. I was always so hard on you, and you didn't deserve that. Then I acted out on my fear during the fight without taking your feelings into consideration. I didn't mean to hurt you, but here we are, and I can't take it back no matter how much I want to. All I can do is say sorry. I know it's not much, but it's something."

She was doing it again. Talking as though she was a character in a book giving some lengthy monologue.

"If I could go back in time and change it, I would. I would make it so that I never got angry with you or snapped at you. Because honestly, you're an amazing person! If this was a book, you would definitely be the better character. You're great. I'm not joking. You're the best sister in the world, and I wish I could do something to prove it to you. And now I'm talking nonstop. I feel awkward. Ok, now I'm shutting up."

She reached over and squeezed Katsuki's bicep for comfort.

Katsuki snorted, while trying to hold in his laughter. This was supposed to be a serious conversation, but Kazuno really was a dork to him. His lovable dork who had a thing for his arms.

Not that he's complaining or anything. Before Kazuno could give him a reprimanding pout, Mikoto started speaking.

"You know," she started while not looking at Kazuno still. "You reminded me...of them. Mom and dad, I mean. It made me feel afraid to go near you. That you'd want me to go home still. It's not too much longer they'll probably find the both of us here. Do you still want to go back?"

An apology means nothing to her, as harsh as that sounded. She wanted to make sure if Kazuno's head is good on her shoulders. Not corrupted by her parents' mindsets and control.

Shoto listened intently, but he didn't interfere. The issue was between the two of them. If they could sort it out themselves, which seemed to be the case, he would let them do so.

Kazuno's arm went limp. She slowly slid it away from Katsuki, her heart aching at those words. She knew that she deserved it, but being compared to them was painful.

"Of course I don't WANT to go home. I never really wanted to." She looked up from the table at her sister. "But it felt like the only option. It still does. I...don't want to be around our parents. I know they hurt you more than they hurt me, which makes me feel even worse about it. But do we really have a chance to run away? We have seen how this society works. We don't have any proof that they're actually...you know...abusive. Only that there are two of is switching days for school. That could be enough to get them in trouble, but I doubt they would remove us from their custody for that. That's usually a last resort sort of thing."

"I think," She continued, "They would probably get into some trouble, but we would have to live with them anyway regardless. I hate it, but realistically, it's bound to happen."