Memories of Our Happy Family

Earlier, Shoto led Tamaki, Mikoto and Kazuno out of the building safely. They all reached the outside and didn't look back.

Their priority was getting Mikoto back home as they trusted the others to be ok.

Kazuno was walking ahead of Tamaki carrying Mikoto. Mikoto's hands clutched against Tamaki's fabric.

She had a guilty expression on her face. There, she came to help with the operation only to cause so much trouble. That's what she was thinking anyway.

(I shouldn't have come...)

Tamaki noticed that something was wrong. "We'll try to get you there as fast as possible."

Kazuno turned her head back when she heard that. "Is everything ok back there?"

"No... It's not..." Mikoto's voice shook as words flowed out relentlessly. "I came to help people, but instead, I was rescued. I messed up. I could have done better. I could have-"

She bit her bottom lip to stop reacting like this. She could have prevented Nejire's death. Sure, she didn't forgive her, but she and Tamaki were always close before. Right?

Kazuno's steps slowed. She looked at Mikoto sadly. "That's how I felt too. But trust me, those men don't stop at anything when it comes to getting what they want. The fact that you're even here still means that you're strong."

Kazuno shuddered as she was bringing those memories back by talking about it. (I can't panic now. She needs me.)

But she had been a mess ever since she stepped foot in there. Izuku knew that she was scared, yes, but he didn't know how badly.

Kazuno started to feel guilty too. (I can't break down in front of her. Not when she is suffering so much. Can't my feelings wait until later?!)

She gave her arm a squeeze to try to ground herself. (Stay focused.)

"Besides, Amajiki is with you now." She smiled. "He won't let anything like this happen again if he knows what's good for him."

"I was slow to find you because I was distracted by Hado," Tamaki admitted. "I won't let that happen again with anyone else. If you're in danger, I will keep my attention only on you from now on. I'm going to do my best to not let anyone harm you."

"But we could have focused on the mission if I didn't go! Can't you say I've burdened the mission?" Mikoto's eyes started to sting. "I don't want to be protected. I want to be the one to protect everyone! But I failed at that."

She felt like Kazuno went through worse. Sure, she's seen things that no girl her age should see.

But that was beside the point. She became a victim. Not a hero. Just when she was starting to be stronger.

(I'm still weak, aren't it?)

"It's not your fault," Tamaki said. "Even the strongest people mess up. I think that you are really strong."

"How am I possibly strong? I keep crying! I can't control what I feel." Mikoto started to weep softly. "Hado would be still alive if it weren't for me. That's not a mess up that can be taken back."

"Crying doesn't make you weak," he said.

"It's not your fault that Hado died either," Kazuno added. She noticed that Tamaki was having a hard time saying anything about Nejire. "She chose to attack you, and that guy with the eyepatch wasn't about to let you die."

"His name is Todoroki." Mikoto mumbled. Never would she think to see that stranger she helped one day would cross paths with her again.

That's right.