Chapter 7

August 30, 2016

"Jo, I think maybe it's best you actually go with Taylor tonight, give your grandparents some time to cool off and everything," Billy suggested to Jo quietly, while John had paused his rant to go to the washroom.

Rachel had long taken Calum home, leaving as soon as the cursing started, and Taylor had offered to keep Charlie company upstairs for a while to try and distract her.

Jo was sitting numb on the sofa, just taking it all in. It was what she had told herself when she started to question her sexuality years before, so it wasn't like it hurt anymore. She just had to listen to it because she was there and she wanted to be polite to her mother's half of the family, but if she could go with Taylor, maybe the whole thing would blow over.

Josephine nodded, she stood up and wiped the tears from her eyes that she didn't even know were there and started up the stairs, knocking on Charlie's door.

She heard laughing and some video playing, only to open the door and find the two sitting on the floor at the end of the bed watching Netflix together, their heads turned and Charlie leaned forward and stopped it, "Is Papa done?"

"No, so I'm gonna stay somewhere else tonight. If that offer is still open, Taylor," Jo cleared her throat softly, referring to the opportunity Taylor had given her to come to New York and spend a few days making music.

"Of course," the blonde nodded immediately, "Just bring some clothes and your toothbrush and stuff. Maybe next time, Charlie, you can come with us and we'll go to Time's Square, like you want to."

"Jo wouldn't let me," Charlie replied.

"She's claustrophobic," Jo chuckled, looking at the teenager, "You wouldn't let yourself."

"I could try it."

"Yeah," Taylor agreed, standing up from the wooden floor and waving bye to the girl, who now had three separate autographs from the pop singer.

"Text or call me if there's any problems, Dad's here though and I'll be back in a few days. Tampons are under the sink, bandaids are in the cabinet in the mirror and your clothes are all in your basket. Be nice and try to stay out of trouble, okay?" Jo said, hugging Charlie tightly as she spoke. She pulled away to make sure she was heard, the younger sibling nodded.

"I'm sorry that I outed you, I didn't do it in spite or anything it was just an accident," Charlie bit her lip nervously.

"I know, Char. It was gonna have to be said sooner or later, and I'm okay. No scratches, bruises, tears, I'm all good. I love you so much, and I'll call you tomorrow night to check in," Jo smiled weakly, because Charlie was so dear to her and she didn't like being away for very long, not when she had practically raised her.

"Are you gonna date Taylor?" Charlie whispered as Jo was getting ready to go pack and meet Taylor in her room, having said goodbye in response beforehand.

Jo furrowed her eyebrows, "No, of course not. Taylor likes men."

"You were flirting."

"And?" Jo teased, "Be good, I mean it."

"Yes, mother," Charlie sighed, poking fun at her sister.

Jo gagged, "Don't call me that ever again."

Across the hallway, Taylor had walked into Jo's room and began looking at the wall decor and pictures. There were some of the siblings, one that looked like it was likely Jo with her mom. They scattered across the wall, each in their own assigned frame.

She crouched down to look at the one on the nightstand and saw the same woman's face again, holding a tiny baby wrapped in pink. Then she looked in the other half of the frame and saw a picture of Rachel in a hospital bed with Jo next to her, holding the baby like they were in the Lion King and laughing.