Chapter 86

! ... the... big... day... ?

September 28th, 2020

Jo woke up early on the morning of their fourth anniversary. She placed a kiss onto Taylor's cheek, the sun wasn't up yet and she had things to do so she wouldn't dare wake up the girl sleeping next to her.

The Cornelia Street house had officially become hers a week prior, she went to check things out during one of her grocery runs and everything was exactly how she remembered it, even the furniture. The previous owner hadn't done much with it since the lease Taylor signed had come to an end, usually only there for a handful of days once in a while.

Everything was set to go well. It was going to be sunny and warm still, she had all of the supplies she needed to get the roof set up for the surprise and Taylor still had no even the slightest hint of what Jo was up to.

She carefully took the ring from the empty foot cream box from the back of the cupboard she hid it in and slipped it into her purse. She made an excuse as to why she needed to go out and get ready, citing that Nicole, her publicist had asked they be in New York for an interview and photoshoot.

Jo had made something up about a LGBTQ+ article and Taylor believed it without much question. Although she was disappointed that Jo had to go on their anniversary, she didn't mind having to travel back to New York because that was where their relationship truly began in the first place.

Jo left her bag by the door and went into the kitchen to make some coffee for them, setting it to brew while she went back to the bedroom and climbed onto the bed.

The brunette placed one leg on either side of Taylor's thighs over top of the comforter, bending down to cup the blonde's face with her palms, "Baby?"

"Hmph," Taylor hummed as she tried to get her bearings, grumbling as her eyes opened just enough. There was only the light from the corridor shining in, "It's too early."

"I know, honey. I just wanted to say happy anniversary and that there's coffee ready for you when you wake up. Your alarm is set for nine-thirty, you need to be ready for noon, okay?"

"Okay," Taylor murmured, smiling groggily before she added, "Happy anniversary."

"I love you, I'll be back in a few hours."

"Okay," Taylor nodded. She brought her finger up to her lips and tapped them twice, signalling to her girlfriend that she expected a proper kiss before Jo went to shower.

Jo was more than happy to oblige the request, pressing a long kiss to Taylor's lips. She could feel Taylor groggily smiling against her mouth, lazily reciprocating it as she likely began to drift back to sleep.

Jo got off the bed and watched for a second to make sure the thirty year old was back asleep before she shut the door to the bathroom, a luxury since the pets were with Andrea in Tennessee and didn't scratch at the door to be let in if it was shut.

Jo got to the townhouse by eight, she parked out front and went inside to start setting things up. She had lights to string up on the pergola above the table and chairs that were on the roof. She also wanted to recreate the lumpy pillow and blanket mess that she had four years prior.

It was going to be a recreation of the night she asked Taylor to be her girlfriend after the blonde had returned from her attempt to drive with no destination, terrified Jo had simply wanted a one night stand of sorts.

Just before noon, Jo had almost everything set up. She had someone she trusted with her life helping to put the final touches, Gabriel, who was incredibly please to hear from his former employer.