Chapter 51

April 16th, 2018

"I have to convince Taylor to rip out the human size bird cage in our living room and replace it with a recording booth," Jo joked while holding a pair of headphones up to her ear, looking at Jack while she messed with the sliders to get the sound she wanted.

"I don't know why I flew all the way here to help you, you've obviously mastered this thing," Jack said without a beat, rolling his eyes while turning said dial back to where it needed to be while she wasn't looking.

"It's only my second album, they didn't let me touch this the first time," the brunette replied, quite serious now.

"Was that in your contract?"

"No, but my manager said I couldn't touch it until I made money and now I have money and Grammy's so I touch it."

"It's weird working with you and Taylor," Jack shook his head, "You know she texted me the other day to tell me you were up at three in the morning gargling to try and see if it made a good sound?"

"It's what I'm trying to recreate in my ear right now," Jo quipped, smiling with satisfaction when she got what she was looking for, "Here, listen to this."

Jack listened to the sound and smiled, nodding his head, "Yeah, that's the one, right?"

"You're the one who said I mastered this thing," Jo shrugged while quite literally annoying Jack to his wits end.

"I'm only here because I do it for Taylor," he reminded himself out loud.

"And I pay you for your time, and we win awards, and we work well together..." Jo trailed off, waiting for an agreement.

"Yeah," he sighed softly, "Okay, go sing or something."

Jo was looking down at her phone to see the lyrics, standing in front of the microphone when her ringtone chimed. The singer furrowed her eyebrows as she clicked on the text from her father.

"Oh shit, haha. My baby brother was just born!"

"Your Dad was expecting?" Jack inquired, tilting his head to the side a little bit.

"Yeah, with his new wife. Oh he's slimy, yeah... I mean cute... but slimy."

She showed the producer her screen and he nodded in agreement after he pushed his glasses closer to the bridge of his nose, "They're all a bit slimy like that. Huh, he kinda looks like a grumpy sloth."

"I was thinking the same thing."

When Jo got home that evening, she entered the apartment and found Taylor at the piano, having returned from rehearsal a while before. She stopped what she was playing when Jo came in.

"Hello, beautiful," Jo smiled as she approached for a kiss, bending down to kiss Taylor's lips.

"Hi, I'm in the middle of something— if you don't mind," Taylor mumbled against Jo's lips, hinting that she didn't want to be disturbed.

"No problem, come find me when you're done. Elliot was born today, I'll show you later," Jo brushed her fingers along Taylor's face before she turned and went to go find Flynn, who they'd realized was deaf, to take him outside.

It made sense considering he never really bothered when they called him or barked at people coming and going, he had no idea what was going on.

Taylor simply nodded in response and went back to her song, coming to meet Jo in the kitchen a while afterwards. Jo had her back the the entrance of the kitchen, chopping something by the sounds of the knife clacking at the cutting board.