Chapter 31

Lol so I got my dream job today! :)

———————

May 28th, 2017

"So just so y'know, you won't like his political views, but if you tread carefully enough, my father will love you," Taylor reassured Jo as they walked up the front steps of Andrea's house.

Scott and Andrea had separated years before, but for their kids they were amicable and often times made the effort to get together for dinners and gatherings when Taylor and Austin were in town. This would be Jo's first time meeting Taylor's family, and even though they had been together so long, she still felt like she had to prove herself to Taylor by making her family impressed.

"You're the biggest Democrat I've ever seen and I grew up with the Military," Jo widened her eyes, "Your father is a Republican? We voted for Clinton... oh my god."

"You'll be fine," Taylor squeezed Jo's shoulder encouragingly just before the door swung open and Scott smiled at them, "Hi, Dad!"

"Hi!" He stepped forward to hug his daughter, "And Jo! So good to finally meet you, Taylor's been hiding you from us all this time."

"I wasn't hiding her," Taylor interjected with quiet snort.

"You keep telling yourself that," Andrea walked in and embraced Taylor before Jo, just as her ex-husband had.

"Nice to see you, you look great," Jo smiled, knowing Andrea had just gone back to the doctors who had given her the word that her scans had finally come back clean, which was huge news. Taylor eventually caved in and let Jo come on the trip with her to celebrate, because even though her mothers illness was still terrifying, she wanted Jo to be there to meet Andrea.

"Thank you," Andrea hummed as she pulled back, giving her daughter's partner a warm smile.

"I was hiding them from you," Taylor mouthed as they headed towards the living room, making Jo purse her lips together as she withheld a chuckle.

"Oh hello, Kitty!" Taylor slightly grimaced as the dog tried to jump on her, attempting to maintain a joyful face. She really wasn't that anti-dogs, she just wasn't a huge fan of ones that large.

"Hello," Jo cooed, just the opposite, "Look at how gorgeous you are, hello pretty girl. She's so beautiful, ah! Tay, we should get a dog, too."

"Mhmm..." Taylor hummed, nervously laughing just a pinch. Jo chuckled and shook her head while rubbing behind the dog's ears.

"Oh, she doesn't like that idea," Andrea laughed, watching how wide the blonde girl's eyes went at the mention of a third, more canine pet.

"Are we doing wine, today? Day drinking? We could," Taylor suggested casually, "Vodka, Gin, Tequila, you know? Just the works."

"Oh, please! You'll be fine, you've talked her up to the point she's in the heavens," Scott waved his hand, taking a seat on the white and beige coloured chair and resuming his iPad news reading.

"Why don't you come see the garden Taylor's helped me with?" The singer's mother invited Jo outside through the French doors that led to a decorated patio.

"That sounds great," Jo nodded, gently patting Taylor's shoulder on the way past her and following Andrea outside.

Andrea shut the door, leaving Taylor to speak with her dad while Jo immediately was surprised by how intricate the garden really was, "It's a lot, huh?"

"It's amazing, you even have the plantar boxes and everything. Do you get a good harvest?" Jo inquired, leaning over to read some of the carefully penned identification stickers place on little plastic posts and stuck in the dirt.