15 | The Throne's Call

-|| The Throne's Call ||- 

Where Fate's Melody Echoes, Souls Awaken, and Kingdoms Embrace.

◊◊◊

The court fell into a profound silence as Yudhisthira, with an air of regality, ascended the majestic throne. The arrival of the new royal faces had been the subject of whispered gossip among the assembled queens concealed behind the curtains. With a gracious bow, the princes took their seats, adorning the court of Hastinapura with radiant smiles. The sight of noble King Pandu's sons gracing the court warmed the hearts of many. This gathering held great significance, as it aimed to finalize the kings of various territories who had lost their rulers in the war.

"Yuvraja Bhimasena," Yudhisthira looked up to Bhima, who rose from his throne, clutching a scroll in his hand, "Please read aloud the territories and the chosen kings." Bhima nodded, signaling to Nakula to prepare the formal parchments that would decree the appointed kings of each land, subject to Yudhisthira's overlordship over all of Aryavarta. The kings were to affix their seals on the agreement.

Arjuna gracefully descended from his throne, receiving a nod of approval from Yudhisthira. As per custom, he would present the sword to the kings.

Just as Bhima was about to begin reading out the names, Yudhisthira held up his hand.

"Noble kings present here, if anyone has objections regarding any territory, you may raise them now. We shall discuss the possibility of any necessary changes," Yudhisthira's eyes blinked gently, signaling Bhima to proceed.

"The entire Panchala region shall be ruled by the grandson of the revered Dronacharya," Bhima announced, pausing for a moment. He couldn't help but feel a touch of unease, as memories of his time in Dakshina Panchala with the beloved family of Drupada, who was like a father to him, flooded his mind.

Suthanu's gaze instinctively turned towards Draupadi, whose eyes shimmered with unshed tears, diligently concealed by her empress's decorum. Suthanu gently placed her palm on Draupadi's handrest on the throne, offering her comfort through a reassuring smile.

It was Draupadi herself who had expressed her desire for the rule of Panchala to be bestowed upon the family of their late mentor, Drona, who held an irreplaceable place in the lives of the Pandavas. Draupadi also considered the grief-stricken Guru Mata Kripi, who had lost her son and husband in the battle, as well as her own mother and sisters-in-law, who would find it difficult to reside in a land that bore the imprint of her father's reign and her brother's valor in every aspect.

The list of territories continued, following customary protocols, until it came to a pause at Anga.

"Vrishketu for Anga," Bhima announced, briefly fixing his gaze on Vrishketu, who seemed taken aback but tried to conceal it. Slowly, Vrishketu rose to his feet.