|| two

two || "middle man" season 6, episode 7

On the plane to Indiana, the team further discussed the details of the case and their theories while Tate sat beside Prentiss. Hotch concluded with Sending Emily and Reid to the club the latest abducted victim, Stephanie, worked while Rossi and Morgan left for the dumpsite. That left him and Tate to head towards the local sheriff's station. Hotch later said this was where she'd always be going as she would be the first point of contact between the local police force and their team. That also went for the press and victims' families.

They made their way into the generic-looking police station, looking for the sheriff. They were directed to a more secluded room that further led to where Stephanie's father was waiting to be questioned. What Tate didn't expect was to find the sheriff mid-lecture with one of his deputies.

"You think you can give me the runaround, Kemp? I don't think so. No one talks to the press but me. This is my department, my investigation, do you understand?"

Hotch cut his eyes over at Tate and she immediately understood that their quiet approach was purposeful. In other words, he wanted to hear this.

"You make me look bad," the sheriff continued. "It's not enough I got the FBI coming in. No, now I have to deal with fumbled plays from my own team? Desk duty, two weeks. Dismissed."

The deputy fled from the room without argument. The sheriff caught the last second of his exit, seeing the two agents in the doorway. Tate decided to take the initiative and step forward, offering her hand to shake.

"Sheriff Jeff Salters," he introduced himself, accepting her hand.

"Tatum Katz. This is SSA Aaron Hotchner," she filled in as the men also shook hands.

"I'm sorry about that. One of my guys leaked the news about the dead women to the press. I need to, uh, send a message."

Tate nodded and glanced over at Hotch. Was there something she was missing? Tate thought maybe Hotch had already tipped the sheriff off to their possible media strategy as keeping it a secret wouldn't have been her first decision. A second later, Hotch disproved this theory, asking, "Why is the investigation being kept a secret?"

"Well, that was my call," Sheriff Salters replied. "I didn't want these guys skipping town before I had a chance to arrest them. This ends in my jurisdiction."

"Has Stephanie Wilson's father arrived?" Tate questioned.

"He's waiting in the conference room. He's pretty messed up about the whole thing."

Tate's features softened. "That's understandable."

"I just don't get it," he said, drawing both of their attention. "You know how many strippers and prostitutes I saw get beaten up and raped when I worked in the city? Sometimes it's like they're asking for it."