|| fifty-seven

fifty-seven || "angels" season 9, episode 23

"We believe the unsub we're looking for is a white male in his early 30s," Hotch said as the team addressed the assembled police force of Briscoe County, Texas. Or as Tate liked to call it: Butt-fuck Nowhere. "While his M.O. is that of a sadist, we think there's an underlying pathology of what we call a wound collector."

"What's that?" Vicky asked.

"A wound collector is someone who uses a lifetime as sleights, grievances, and wrongs as justifications for violence," Spencer defined. "Examples can be as large-scale as Hitler scapegoating the Jews for the Holocaust."

"Or as common as an abusive husband blaming his wife as an excuse to beat her," JJ added.

"This unsub is low key, almost submissive in public," Rossi continued. "He has to be to attract the prostitutes."

"But his real nature will be revealed in the safety of isolation," Tate said. "This is the type of man who would anonymously express himself online by raging about how these women are filthy and diseased, how they deserve what's coming to them, probably to cover for the rejection of a woman or spouse who's wronged him."

"Which means the unsub probably has a working-class or part-time job. It gives him the time to plan and execute the murders," JJ built on.

"He's strong and good with his hands," Blake said. "He probably drives a work truck or large vehicle. This allows him to transport the bodies and carry the tools to pose his victims."

"Tabitha Ryerson tells us he's losing control," Morgan continued. "He killed her in her home and then transported her body to the woods so he could mutilate her postmortem. The public nature of the display was a message."

"To who?" Sheriff Coleman aske.d

"To us," Tate said. "This is a small town. He knows the FBI is here investigating his crimes. He thinks he's showing us that he's smarter than we are. But by doing so, he's also showing us his wounds. There's part of him that wants us to stop and punish him for his crimes." As she concluded, Tate's phone rang, Garcia's name flashing. She thanked everyone and excused herself to take the call.

Hotch came along with her to answer the call. Garcia had been digging through Tabitha Ryerson's records and found a credit card payment from a new client who she was supposed to see for the first time the following day. The name on the payment was "Mack."

This led the team to the real owner of the credit card, the local principal who Rossi and Blake found aggressively punishing a child for writing on the desk. This proved to be useless, though, because even after getting all of the prostitutes' names out of him, it was revealed that he didn't cut the escorts. They cut him.

<3

Upon their return to the police precinct, the sheriff and his officers were disbelieving that this wasn't their killer. "How could it not be him?" the sheriff raged. "He had S&M sessions with all the victims."