|| forty-six

forty-six || "to bear witness" season 9, episode 4

"Six letters, 'between the waves,'" Reid prompted.

Tate's eyes cut over to Alex. "Slatch," she answered quickly.

"Yes. Ten letters, 'wandering alone.'"

Tate's finger hovered over the button of the stopwatch. "Uh... If it's Latin in origin, alone is 'solus,' vagare is 'wandering,' ten letters, s-o-l-i-v-a-g-a-n-t!"

Tate pressed the button. "Congratulations, Blake, you just finished that crossword puzzle in seven minutes and I hate you for it. And Spencer, great work as the scribe. And my all-important job of holding the stopwatch! Doctors cubed, am I right?"

"Cubed would mean there are nine of us," Spencer contradicted.

"Well, yeah, but Doctors tripled sounds lame."

"I mean, you guys could do it, too," Alex said humbly.

"No, I could not," Tate said with a shake of her head. "I'm horrible at these."

"I've done it in five and a half, actually," Spencer said, making Tate roll her eyes. "There's a theory about pattern recognition where you don't even have to look at the clues anymore, but I found that going across instead of down helps because the sequence of saccades and fixations in traditional reading assist with other oculomotor tasks such as solving crossword puzzles."

"I understood like forty-six percent of that," Tate muttered.

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds," Rossi greeted, then turned to the communications liaison. "And Tate."

"How do you so easily both compliment and insult me?"

"You're here early," Alex commented.

"Well, apparently not early enough. I missed all the excitement," Rossi said, then realized Spencer's writing instrument. "You do that in pen?"

"Is there any other way?"

"Please save me," Tate pleaded, clasping her hands.

"Where's Hotch?" Rossi asked.

"In there with Garcia," Tate pointed.

"Everything okay?" Alex questioned.

"We'll see," Tate laughed mischievously. Rossi saluted the group and went towards the conference room.

"Ten letters, starts with 'c,'" Alex prompted.

"Cabalistic?" Reid guessed.

"Oh, I know that one! And yes," Tate smiled, pushing up from her seat. "Let's do this! Time to talk murder. Or in this case, hell if I know." The last of the team soon followed them into the conference room. "Hello, good morning, no real time to get comfortable, so let's jump in."