|| thirty-eight

thirty-eight || "alchemy" season 8, episode 20

That morning, Tate was sitting in Rossi's office, her completed manuscript on his desk in front of him. Miles had pushed Tate to reach out to someone familiar with this process to get the ball rolling in publishing the book. Rossi was immediately on board, offering to share his agent with her and work with her to get a deal on the table in the coming months. In the meantime, he's already read the manuscript twice and was talking through some of his editing suggestions with her. That is, until Spencer interrupted them.

He came looking for Tate, but took the extra addition in stride. Reid dropped a small town newspaper about a mysterious death and looked between them rapidly. "I mean, losing someone's bad enough, but imagine not having any answers," he said.

"You're right. It's terrible," Tate agreed carefully. "But we haven't been invited and it isn't serial."

"That's just the thing, see? I think- I think it's connected to this other case." Reid pulled another newspaper from his bag and presented it to the two.

Rossi's eyebrows drew together. "How many small town newspapers do you subscribe to?"

"Thirty-eight," he answered easily, sipping his coffee.

Tate sighed. "It used to be more, but a lot of them have 'disappeared.'" The last work was said with air quotes and a strong layer of sarcasm.

"You mean gone digital?" Rossi said.

Spencer shrugged. "Same thing." Tate gestured to him as if to say 'I told you so.' He turned back to Tate eagerly, speaking fast. "See, that was six weeks ago and it wasn't in VICAP."

She looked at him, concerned. "You haven't been sleeping, have you?"

"I can't. There's too much work to do." He pushed up from his seat and moved from the room.

Tate took the papers from the desk, earning a skeptical look from Rossi. "Well, it'd be easier to discourage if he wasn't right every single fucking time."

<3

The team headed to South Dakota to investigate the two confirmed male victims who were found, their body parts dispersed around the woods. There were cupping marks, likely man-made, on the men's backs that were particularly interesting. Additionally, the parts hadn't been completely foraged by animals which made Reid think there was some sort of toxin on their skin that was repelling critters.

As Spencer and Tate made their way into the precinct, a detective came up to greet them. "Dr. Reid. Nice to meet you. I'm Agent Stern," she said, holding her hand out to Tate.

She shook it, but said, "Actually, this is Dr. Reid. I'm Dr. Katz, but Tate works just fine."

"Are you the SRA for the Pineridge Reservation?" Reid asked.