|| forty-seven

forty-seven || "in the blood" season 9, episode 6

There was a knock on Penelope Garcia's door as the last of her guests arrived. Tate was already smiling brightly as she introduced the man behind her by saying, "I come bearing Hotch!"

"What?! I thought you weren't coming!" Garcia said excitedly.

"Well, Jack got a last-minute sleepover invitation, so I hope it's okay," Hotch said bashfully.

"Yes, of course, of course! The magic of Dr. Tatum Katz has come through once again!"

"Awe. Thank you, lovely."

"Okay, everybody, I guess it's time to start," Penelope said, bringing over more drinks including one to each of the final arrivals.

The team gathered around Garcia's ofrenda. Spencer purposefully shuffled around the group so he was beside Tate, offering his cup up to cheers with hers. She laughed lightly and accepted.

"Alright, thanks, everybody, for doing this with me," Garcia said bashfully. "And our altar's burning, and I just feel so blessed to have you all here. I will start, uh..." Penelope put down a photo. "This is my mom and dad. I miss them. And this..." Penelope placed another photo down. "This is my cat, Simba, with his usual bowl of soda pop. He was a weird cat! Okay, who's next?"

JJ put down a picture of a pretty blonde girl. "Alright, well, this is my sister Roslyn. Ros... She always dreamt that someday she'd live in Paris, so, um... It didn't happen, but I thought this would bring her some happiness." Beside the photo, she put a figurine of the Eiffel Tower. "Straight out of France. Thank you, Tate, for bringing it back for me."

Tate lifted her glass with a smile. "Of course. Anything for the Jareau girls."

"Private first class Darryl Jenson," Rossi introduced as he put down a photo and two tickets. "We lost him during the Tet offensive."

"What are the tickets?" Morgan asked.

"Opening game, next season, Wrigley. Right behind the home dugout. Jenson was a die hard Cubs fan."

Morgan lifted his glass. "Sweet."

Alex stepped forward shyly. "Um... My mom." The photo was of an older woman with a kind smile held to a New York Times crossword by a ball-pointed pen. "She was the one who got me into crossword puzzles--no erasing allowed--which got me into linguistics."

"I will piggyback," Tate said. "This... is my mom, Irene. The woman who raised me, anyway. And her favorite beer... And my bio mom, Josephine. Two very pretty ladies... And this is the first preliminary copy of my book." The team cheered quietly as they'd all read at least excerpts from the final copy, but none had seen the advance copies Tate would begin sending out in the coming weeks. "I'd like to think they'd both be plenty proud and Irene would probably say something about me being all college educated and everything."