|| twenty

twenty || "unknown subject" season 7, episode 12

"How can Herman Scobie not be the Piano Man?" Rossi asked once JJ, Reid, and Morgan got back from the suspect's house. "We've got the medical gloves, the medical records he pulled."

"The taunt," Tate added. "He said it to Diana Mitchell, he repeated it to Em."

"Well, Scobie definitely assaulted Diana the second time," JJ said. "He's probably revictimizing all of the survivors."

"But apply the profile to Herman Scobie and look at what's different," Morgan continued. "There's no piano wire, and there's no song played."

"You think there are two unsubs? The Piano Man and a copycat?" Hotch confirmed.

"A copycat studies the original in order to learn," Reid corrected. "Herman Scobie's a doppelganger. He's trying to pass himself off as the Piano Man."

"Why?" Tate asked.

"Convenience, maybe," Morgan suggested. "If he assaults the Piano Man's survivors, they're less likely to report it to the police.

"And if they do, the women claim it was the Piano Man," JJ added. "No one think to look at hospital orderlies."

"So who killed Vanessa Campbell, the Piano Man or Scobie?" Emily asked.

"It's a lay-up," Rossi said. "Same neoprene glove in her throat as we found in Scobie's van."

"There's something about that, too, though," Reid said, picking up the baggy with the scrap of glove. "If Vanessa Campbell swallowed this, it would be scarred by digestive acids. I mean, even if it got caught in her trachea as she choked out, gastric reflux would be evident, but there isn't any."

"So the unsub placed that in her throat post-mortem?" Emily said. "Which unsub?"

"He used the piano wire, he played the song, it must be the Piano Man," Morgan said.

"And if he's specifically planting the glove, he's doing it to frame Scobie," Tate said.

"Okay, so let me get this straight," Emily began. "The Piano Man is trying to convince us that Scobie is responsible for all of these crimes"

Emily went back in to talk to Scobie, this time with Hotch by her side, despite the fact that Scobie's lawyer was now there to silence him. From that, they were still able to determine that Regina Lampert was who both unsubs were planning on going after next. Garcia sent over some security footage from the bar Regina worked at. They saw her talking to a man playing the piano who was taunting her with the song. Then, she set herself up as bait, pretending to warm up to him, and eventually leaving the bar with him.

On the way to Regina Lampert's house, they listened to a 911 call from the man she took captive, then Tate got a call from the lab about the fingerprints. She and Hotch burst into the house with a SWAT team where they found her pointing a gun at the suspect, Hamilton Bartholomew.