|| thirteen

thirteen || "big sea" season 6, episode 23

Tate stood on one of the many sandy beaches of Jacksonville, Florida with Hotch, speaking to the two men who'd discovered the first skeleton. "The barge moves up and down the coast, repairing beaches from weather damage," one of them explained.

"And how deep is the water that this sand is coming from?" Hotch asked.

"About a hundred meters," the other answered. "Digs up all kinds of stuff from the ocean floor."

"And you do this every year?"

"First time in Jacksonville. We just moved the barge here three days ago."

"So dumb luck just uncovered an unsub's graveyard," Tate summed up.

"I had them stop the pump once I realized what this was," the first man told them.

"We're gonna need you to turn the pump back on. If we don't keep digging, we're not gonna know how many bodies there are down there," Hotch said, excusing himself to pick up a call from Garcia.

Tate thanked the men and made her way back to the tent, Hotch fairly close behind her. "Dr. Katz, Detective Foreman. Call me JT," introduced the lead officer. Tate shook his hand and smiled.

"Please, just Tate is alright. And behind me is Agent Hotchner."

He nodded and shook Hotch's hand, looking around at the plastic tents split up by clear dividers. "Not the most cushy arrangement, but it'll keep your team close to the crime scene for now."

"It does the job just fine. Thanks for setting it up. It'll help us preserve what we can."

"Of course."

"Excuse us," Hotch said, moving towards where Reid was already observing some of the bones through a microscope. Tate pushed through the clear plastic a few moments after Hotch.

"You know, based on the parasites of the most recent kill, the unsub killed as recently as a month ago which means he's still active," Reid said when he looked up from the glass.

"You figured out a timeline already?" Tate asked, her eyebrows drawing together.

Spencer nodded and smiled at her surprise. "I reverse engineered Mother Nature. Each year, sand and sediment cover up the remains, creating layers on the ocean floor."

Tate elbowed Hotch playfully. "Isn't he cute when he sounds all smart?"

Spencer blushed while Hotch stared at Tate silently for a moment. "You're getting too comfortable here."

"Thank you, sir."

"That makes sense, Reid," Hotch refocused. "The deeper the pump dug, the older the remains."