|| thirty-four

thirty-four || "run" season 7, episode 24

JJ and Rossi went to the hospital with a safe and sound Henry in town to see where Will was finally getting his gunshot wound looked at. From outside the door, Rossi happened to overhear that there was a wedding planned.

The rest of the team returned to headquarters where Tate finally sat down with Hotch while the rest of the team was out at the desks. "I don't wanna do this to you. Especially not today," Tate said as she sat across from her boss.

"Tate... I love having you here. And so does the team," Hotch began. Tate buried her face in her hands, having an inkling of a feeling she knew where this was going. "But this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not only in terms of travel and cultural experience, but as a father, I feel inclined to say that any chance to get to know him better is a blessing... He's a great guy, Tate. And I'm not just saying that because we've started biking together since you introduced us."

Tate laughed lightly. She nodded as she said, "I think I want to go. Miles brought up, at the seminar, what Rossi had to say about his sabbatical. Writing and finding some 'peace of mind.' I... I could use some of that. And I wouldn't mind getting back to writing. I've missed it a bit, I think."

Hotch smiled. "Now I'm sure. Tate, if you don't take the time for yourself, I'll be forced to fire you so you have to go." Tate laughed. "I'm not joking."

Tate settled down and bit her lip. "Will I come back to a new press liaison in my place?"

Hotch shook his head. "Garcia and I can share the duties. It's what we were going to do when JJ left. But then you came along and... I don't usually say this, but let's thank Strauss for forcing me to accept you."

Tate scoffed. "What a kind way to phrase that."

"If you find a new passion while you're away, no one here will blame you. But, if you ever want to come back, the position will be waiting for you."

Tate smiled and held back tears she could feel gathering. "Thanks, Hotch."

"Aaron," he corrected.

Tate's eyes doubled in size. "I am never calling you Aaron."

Hotch laughed and it made Tate feel like her mission in life was complete. His phone rang and Tate moved to leave, but he stopped her. She followed him out of his office as he addressed the group. "Hang on, let me check," he muttered. "Oh, wait, she's here. Erin, don't go anywhere! Dave wants to know if everyone is free tomorrow night?"

Tate leaned on the banister over the pit of desks and nodded as she glanced down, her gaze landing on Spencer. They all agreed and Hotch relayed the news. They were all in.

<3

The next night, the team reconvened for JJ and Will's surprise wedding. It was only when JJ saw her mother that she realized what was happening.