|| thirty-seven

thirty-seven || "pay it forward" season 8, episode 19

"Two days ago, the head that once belonged to twenty-three year old Wade Burke rolled out of a time capsule in Bronson Springs, Colorado," Penelope said from where she'd taken the helm in presenting the team's cases for the past nine and a half months. "And I know- I know this is hardly news. The video we are currently watching has 1.3 million views online as of this moment."

"We're being called in on a cold case?" JJ confirmed.

"Sadly, no, because as of two hours ago, the decapitation menu in Bronson Springs has been expanded to include both cold and hot selections," Penelope said, bringing up another few pictures. "It's hard to tell from this photo--thank you, friendly universe--but the latest victim also does not have a head attached to them."

"Has he been identified?" Rossi questioned.

"Sixty-two-year-old Charlie Figg, he was a retired deputy from Bronson Springs," Hotch said.

"His body was found next to his vehicle on a remote road thirty miles east of town," Garcia continued.

Morgan wondered aloud what the reason may be for so long a resting period and even the connection between the two victims, but Garcia was out of answers. According to their resident tech genius, there was no apparent connection between the two.

Considering the long resting period, the team theorized on the possibility of a copycat considering the notoriety of the case and the video. "Whether it's one unsub or ten, Bronson Springs is getting a lot of attention," JJ said.

"And if the killer is feeding off the publicity, it'll only encourage him to strike again," Hotch said. "Which is exactly why I thought we could use some extra help."

The entire team turned towards their boss. "You don't mean..." Spencer trailed off.

"Hi," came a voice from behind them.

Spencer immediately objected. "Tate, no. Hotch, the Replicator has only been increasing his targeting of this team."

"Spence-"

"Tate, seriously, no!" he exclaimed, having now angrily pushed up from his chair.

Tate gave him a hard glare as she slowly moved towards him. "Spence, just stop now. I can make my own decision in the matter."

Hotch chimed in, "Tate is back. Permanently, starting on this case. All of her certifications have been renewed in the past few weeks since San Francisco, including her profiling license."

Spencer still hadn't moved his eyes from Tate's. The team felt like they were intruding. "This cannot happen," Spencer said quietly.

"Tate is caught up on the Replicator case and is aware of the danger... I tried to talk her out of it, too," Hotch said.