|| sixteen

sixteen || "true genius" season 7, episode 11

"Now, give a warm welcome to our next speaker, Dr. Spencer Reid of the BAU," the blonde woman, a true crime author, kindly introduced.

Tate whooped from the back of the crowd and didn't miss the way Spencer's cheeks pinked as he made his way to the podium. "Thank you. Thanks. Patricia Cornwell, ladies and gentlemen. Ms. Cornwell will be signing books at the end of the session." The microphone feedbacked and Spencer faltered. "Sorry."

"I told you to stop with the sorrys," Tate said under her breath.

"Um... Hi. I am here today to talk to you about paraphilias and their relation to violent crime," Reid said, overpronouncing his words. He paused, as if waiting for something that never came. "Does anybody know what dendrophilia is?... Yes, a fetish for trees."

Tate grimaced. "Oh, Spence."

<3

"Hey, that was great!" Tate lied as she hugged him. They were standing by the door to the dining hall where Patricia was signing books and, separately, Prentiss was surrounded by a small crowd of five asking extra questions.

Spencer looked over at them sadly. "Was it?" he asked.

"Don't compare yourself, Spence, it won't do you any good." Tate grabbed Spencer's hand and led him out the door when another followed closely behind them.

"Dr. Reid?" Spencer stopped to shake the man's hand. "Hey, you were fantastic up there."

"Thank you," he said as Tate smiled up at him.

"Yeah, I love the names of those paraphilias. I have a new list to memorize."

"You like memorizing lists?" Spencer asked excitedly.

The man shrugged. "I'm weird that way."

"That's not weird at all. I do it all the time."

Tate coughed to cover a laugh which Spencer opted to ignore.

"You know, we don't usually get people your age here," Reid continued. "You're in school, I assume?"

"Yeah, I'm a senior at Michigan."

"You know what, you might like the FBI's internship program. Unfortunately, we're already past the deadline, but if you write me a letter, I might be able to pull some strings." Spencer pulled a card from his coat jacket and handed it to him.

"Uh... Thanks. But I don't think my board of directors would allow it." At Spencer's confusion, he continued, "I have a company. Have you heard of Nanovex?"

"Nanovex as in the company Landis Pharmaceuticals is investing 100 million dollars in, Nanovex?"

"Holy shit!" Tate exclaimed, looking the man up and down. "You're in college?!"