|| fifty-four

fifty-four || "mr and mrs anderson" season 9, episode 15

The DNA test results from the used condom of Alan Anderson came back and the matches were extensive. With the new information under her belt, Tate went in to interrogate the suspect: Judith Anderson. She patiently watched them unlock the handcuffs around the woman's wrists and took a seat as the officers left them alone.

"Hi, Judith. My name's Tatum. Or you can call me Tate," she said softly. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

"I'd like to make a phone call," Judith said immediately.

"To who? Your husband?"

The woman looked down at the table, but didn't respond.

"You're coming up on your 20th anniversary, is that right? Congratulations. That is a huge accomplishment."

Tate faked a smile for Judith's benefit, but the woman cocked her head to the side, clearly not buying it. So, Tate cut to the chase.

"We recovered a used condom with Alan's DNA in it. Nothing odd about that except... you've had a hysterectomy. So, why use condoms if you can't conceive?"

Judith's eyes narrowed at Tate. When she finally spoke, her voice was feather light, but confident. "You seem to know a lot. You tell me."

"Well, you don't strike me as the unfaithful type. I mean, Alan, on the other hand, he's a different story-"

"You know nothing about my husband."

"Actually, I know a lot." The file stretched out in front of Tate held a new weight in the room. "I know your husband tested positive for an STD back in 2010." Judith looked back down at the table, but Tate continued. "Now, you two were married in 1994, which tells me he isn't as committed to your marriage as you think."

Judith smiled slightly. "There was a point in time when both of us were unfaithful in our marriage. When I found out he had cheated-"

Tate was already nodding along. "You thought if you retaliated, it would make you feel better."

"My husband and I no longer keep secrets," she said solemnly. "I've known he's had an STD for years. The reason we use condoms, to answer your question, is that he insists on protecting me. That's how much he loves me."

On the other side of the glass, Rossi, Blake, and Reid were listening closely and this line from Judith gave them a lot in terms of the two's relationship psychology. 2010 was the beginning of the dormancy period and the time Alan contracted his STD. As punishment, she likely took away their killing as a pair, but this meant she probably didn't know he continued killing without her.

Tate laid out a series of victim files on the table of the interrogation room. "I can't wait to see where this is headed," Judith said, her fingers knotted together beneath her chin.