|| six

six || "corazon" season 6, episode 12

"Hey, you okay?" Prentiss asked as Reid rushed into the conference room.

    Spencer clutched his bag close to his chest before removing the strap from around his shoulders and taking a seat. "Yeah, why?"

    "You're never late," Morgan pointed out.

    "Mm, that's true," Tate agreed, taking the small lollipop Garcia had given her out of her mouth to talk. "Sometimes you're even here before me. Even when you super hated me, you'd hang out here while I set up."

    "Have we started the briefing yet?" Reid questioned.

    "Just about to," Garcia replied.

    "Then I'm not late."

    Tate smiled at Garcia, the two having decided earlier that she would start today while Tate's throat was sore. Penelope took the helm, happily playing up her dramatism the first chance she got. "Attention, intrepid BAU adventurers. The land of bermuda shorts, white leisure suits, and sansabelt slacks requests your presence."

    "Vegas?" Rossi guessed.

    "Arizona," Morgan played along.

    "Palm Springs," Prentiss said, getting warmer.

    "Please," Hotch interrupted, unamused.

    Tate bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing. Most times, the BAU was stern and hyper focused, but her favorite moments were when they all acted like children together; Hotch being the mother figure who was always there to reel in their antics.

    "I was going to say Miami, but point well made about the dizzying number of locales with unfortunate fashion tendencies. Here we go," Garcia said.

    The team continued with the briefing of a series of murders in a primarily Latinx neighborhood in Miami. They were unique because victims were found with shells over their eyes and mouths and most were in tandem with ritualistic animal slaughter, including a household cat. It was theorized that the murders were religious at least in some sense and that there would likely be another body soon, prompting them to rise from the conference room and head for the dreaded state of Florida.

<3

The BAU had long since been in Miami when Tate walked up on Reid staring up at the ceiling blankly. Since arriving, the team had made little headway on the case due to the fact that the community wasn't very willing to speak to cops. They were waiting to hear back from Garcia about finding a local expert on afro-indigenous religions, but until then Reid had gone off to keep staring at his books of choice. Tate thought he could use a coffee, so came to check on him only to find him zoned out in his office chair.

    "Reid?" she asked quietly. "Spencer?... Spence-"

    Reid jerked suddenly, sitting up in his chair and searching the page in front of him before drawing his eyes up to Tate. She'd jumped when he sat back up and now had a splash of coffee on her pale purple button up shirt. "Oh, uh... Tate, I'm so sorry," Spencer muttered as he stood up from the desk and ran to grab some paper towels from nearby.