|| nineteen

nineteen || "unknown subject" season 7, episode 12

"Houston PD needs out boots on the ground for the Piano Man case," Tate said, a shiver running up her spine.

"Serial rapist?" Morgan remembered.

"A case we consulted on about eight months ago," Hotch filled in. "Twelve victims over five years. He crosses racial and social lines, age too."

Spencer saw the discontent on Tate's face and grabbed her knee under the table. Tate latched onto his hand for dear life. Rape cases always made Tate uncomfortable, but she'd looked at this case with Penelope eight months ago; they weren't concerned enough to proceed with the investigation. Hotch agreed. Now, here they were.

"Power-assertive?" Emily guessed.

"Knocks them out with a date rape drug and binds them with piano wire," Rossi said.

"They wake up with no memory of the assault or how they got the permanent scar the wire leaves," JJ continued.

"So, he's branding them. How does he dose them?" Emily said.

Spencer tapped one of his fingers to remind Tate of why they were there. "Uh, Houston still doesn't know yet, 'cause, you know, date rape drugs metabolize quickly and he's keeping them for twelve hours."

"So, why are they calling us in now?" Morgan questioned.

"Because of these most recent attacks," Tate said.

"This piece of work has elevated sick and twisted to a whole new dimension," Garcia told them.

"Uh, behind me is Brittany Anderson. She filed a report after she woke up outside the restaurant she was abducted from. And Vanessa Campbell was just reported missing." Tate avoided the eyes of the girls' pictures looming over her shoulder.

"Those were victims two and five, weren't they?" Spencer asked quietly, like he was only speaking to Tate.

"Yes. He's going back and attacking survivors a second time," she deadpanned.

"He grabbed Vanessa Campbell from her house? He's changing his M.O. from what we studied. He's upping his game," JJ remarked.

"Well, we know he stalks them. But public venue abduction, he has the power," Morgan said. "Home inversion, he's on their turf."

"So he's betting he can gain control before they can get to a phone or gun," Reid said.

"The question is why. What is he getting from revisiting old victims?" Rossi prompted.

"It seems careless for someone who's been so controlled up until now," Hotch said.

"What is this on the floor?" Emily questioned.