|| fifty-six

fifty-six || "angels" season 9, episode 23

Alex and Spencer joined the rest of the team (minus Hotch) huddled around one of the desks in the bullpen just as JJ was finishing her story. "So, we get Henry to bed," she continued, "and, you know, we're about to finally have some alone time with mommy and daddy, and... you guys know the rest."

"Oh, do you mean hearing my lovely voice on the phone?" Tate questioned with an innocent smile.

"Ah, come on. They were trying to dust off the old cobwebs," Derek said.

"Inappropriate," Penelope scolded with a punch to his arm while he laughed. "Seriously, though, how long has it been?"

"Too long," JJ said solemnly.

"Can't relate!" Tate exclaimed, offering a high-five to her boyfriend who'd come up beside her. "Come on, you know it's high-five worthy." Spencer sighed and slapped her hand with his own while the rest of the team chuckled.

"Do we know what the case is?" Alex directed towards Tate.

n"No. No, Hotch just said it was urgent. To get everyone here as soon as possible."

"You need some private adult time," Penelope said, returning to JJ's problem. "I'll watch Henry. No bad guys, no kids, in that order. Go to Mexico! Or the Maldives, maybe."

JJ strained her neck to look over the group's shoulder. "Cruz?"

"Yes! Exactly. A cruise would be perfect-"

"No. No, Matt Cruz."

The rest of the team turned and sure enough, there was Hotch and Mateo Cruz leaving the former's office, headed for the conference room. "Let's get started," Hotch said.

<3

JJ and Cruz amicably checked in on each other as they all settled around the conference room table. Tate was setting up at the front of the room when the section chief came up beside her, saying, "I hope you don't mind, Dr. Katz, but I took the liberty of having the much less talented version of Ms. Garcia in my office load the case details."

"Oh, sure. Of course," Tate obliged, handing him the remote like it was the Holy Grail. "Take the mantle with pride and confidence, sir."

He chuckled and said, "Yes, ma'am. A good friend of mine, Sheriff Peter Coleman, down in Briscoe County, Texas, reached out to me about a possible case. He's a former Texas ranger. He's a good guy."

"He read about our work on the Silencer case two years ago," Hotch added. "He asked us for a consult."

"What do we have?" Tate questioned, still wondering why this was so urgent.

"Abigail Jones, prostitute. She was found in a dumpster last night." Behind Cruz' head, the crime scene photos of Abigail along with a before picture displayed on the screen.