|| forty-eight

forty-eight || "the caller" season 9, episode 10

"We just got a call from St. Louis," Tate said that morning as she stood at the head of the conference table, presenting their newest case. "A missing child, ten-year-old Andrew Taffert. The parents are Lida and Malcolm. Dad found blood on the front door this morning."

"I take it no test results on the blood yet?" Morgan asked.

Tate checked her phone again and said, "Correct-o-mundo. I should be getting a call as soon as we've got something."

"No signs of forced entry or a struggle according to the initial police report," JJ pointed out.

Tate nodded. "Mom and Dad put him to bed at ten, then woke up this morning and he was gone."

"Any visitors or workers to the house recently?" Alex questioned.

"No. But the parents say in the last two weeks they've received five phone calls from what sounds like a little boy prank calling them."

Hotch added, "They complained to authorities, but police determined that no laws had been broken."

Tate pointed to him and continued, "Yup. The little boy says 'I'm gonna get you.' And according to police reports, there's a bunch of... jumbled, crazy voices in the background, I guess. It sounds like it's coming from an asylum or a prison."

"I'd say the calls might be coincidental, except the boy called again right after the parents found Andy missing," Morgan interpreted. "And he had a different message this time. 'Did you see what I did?'"

"Freaky. I hate it," Tate cringed.

"So he's taunting them," JJ said. "Maybe this is about revenge."

Alex's mind, as per usual, went the linguistics route. "'I'm gonna get you' is typically a threat, but in the case of children, it can also be a phrase used during play."

"You know, this sounds similar to a cold case from fifteen years ago," Spencer said. "Franky Clavin of Memphis."

"I remember that," Rossi chimed in. "Gideon handled it. It obviously predates all of you."

"Frankie Clayvin was nine years old at the time. He never made it home from school one day and was found dead in the woods thirty-six hours later, just five miles from his house," Spencer broke down for the group's benefit.

"And Frankie's parents also received prank phone calls from a young boy," Rossi recalled. "I think Frankie's father was the prime suspect at one point."

"Yeah, the police actually tapped the Clayvins' phones, but they couldn't trace the phone calls because they kept bouncing between different payphones in the greater Memphis area."