|| forty-five

forty-five || "final shot" season 9, episode 3

Spencer walked into the bullpen that morning to see everyone running around frantically. JJ had just gotten off a phone call telling Will she wouldn't be coming home as soon as she thought. "What's going on?" Spencer asked the group.

"Don't know. Just heard we're leaving now," Alex replied as she collected her go-bag.

"To Dallas we go. Mass sniper shooting," Tate briefed as she quickly moved through the bullpen alongside Hotch and Rossi.

"How many victims?" JJ questioned.

"Three confirmed deaths so far, but the total victim count is still up in the air."

"We don't know much beyond that," Hotch added.

"Is it a terrorist attack?" Alex guessed.

"If it is, they're happening more frequently," Derek said as he and Penelop joined the group on their way to the elevators. "First the Boston marathon, then the Cleaver incident in London."

"We're also coming up on the fiftieth anniversary of the assasination of JFK which also took place in Dallas," Reid mentioned.

"So we have to consider domestic terrorism," Tate agreed.

"Right now we have to consider everything," Hotch said, holding open the elevator as he turned to Penelope. "Garcia, I need a list of all acts of civil unrest in Texas in the last few years."

"Copy that," she answered.

Tate was looking down at her phone. "Local FBI's on the scene. We'll take the lead when we get there. And the media is already going absolutely insane. Yay, me." Spencer smiled awkwardly and held her arm in hopes of some small reassurance.

The last words from their tech analyst before the elevator doors closed were, "Be safe!"

<3

By the time the team arrived, there were five deaths and a sixth fighting for his life in surgery. Tate, JJ, and Morgan went out to the scene of the shooting where Tate briefly spoke to reporters before rejoining her colleagues and Agent Mays, a local FBI agent. They looked around and compared photos from surveillance cameras to the scene in front of them before JJ spotted a round lodged in the building above them, looking to come from a high-caliber rifle.

Reid and Blake went to the hospital to speak to two witnesses who saw the first victim get shot. Spencer tried to conduct a cognitive with one of the girls, but she broke down in the middle of it and Reid was pulled away by a doctor. While he was gone, the girl's friend remembered seeing a bald, white man up high in a window and thought he may be the shooter. Alex took this in stride and was then detached from the pair so Spencer could inform her that the sixth victim had died.