|| thirty-one

thirty-one || "profiling 101" season 7, episode 22

"It's rare that an undergraduate criminology class gets guest speakers of this caliber," said a professor standing in front of the majority of the team. Behind her, the back door opened and Tate snuck in, moving behind her colleagues until she took her podium between Spencer and Derek.

"You okay, kid?" Derek asked quietly.

"What? I'm fine," Tate said quickly, placing her hands in front of her. Derek watched as, a moment later, they drew closer together and she started picking at her nail polish. Tate glanced at Spencer and whispered, "I'll tell you about it later."

"But today we are especially fortunate," the professor continued. "I'd like to welcome an old friend, esteemed author and FBI agent David Rossi, and his team, the Behavioral Analysis Unit."

"You're not even gonna give me a hint of what's going on with you?" Derek said.

Tate shrugged one shoulder and didn't even glance towards him, feigning confidence but secretly afraid to give something away. "You're the profiler. I'm sure you're capable of figuring it out for yourself."

"Now, they've agreed to spend an hour of their valuable time talking about what they do and how they do it," the professor said. "So let's make them feel welcome." The professor, along with her large class applauded as Rossi stepped forward.

"Thank you, Dr. Grant," Rossi said, quieting the class down. "Now, when she said I was an old friend, she was just referring to the fact that we've known each other for a very long time." The class laughed politely. "Now, as the good professor said, I am Supervisory Special Agent Rossi. These are SSAs Jareau, Prentiss, Hotchner, and Morgan," he introduced in order around the half-circle of podiums. "Dr. Tatum Katz, communication liaison, and Dr. Spencer Reid." Tate waved kindly. "And on keyboards today we have our technical analyst, Ms. Penelope Garcia.

"Now, in simple terms, at the BAU, we use behavioral science, research, casework, and training to hunt down monsters... Rapists, terrorists, pedophiles, and our specialty, serial killers."

The team took turns in introducing their unsub for the day, one of the most prolific serial killers the BAU ever handled. They began how they would when delivering a profile, by beginning to detail his childhood and what forged him into the killer he was today and revealing that they'd so far found forty of his claimed bodies, but the estimate was that he actually killed over one hundred.

The team moved to speaking about his first and second victims and what their deaths told them about the killer. "He dumped his first victim, Rachel, in an alleyway," Spencer said. "But he took the time to bury Tina, which suggests he felt more connected to her and perhaps he even felt remorse."

"Did you ever catch this guy?" a student near the front asked.

"Uh, what's your name, young man?" Rossi questioned.