|| twenty-five

twenty-five || "a thin line" season 7, episode 15

Tate and Spencer stopped by the hotel before finding a place for dinner. Their plans were halted, though, when Tate's phone rang and her boss' name appeared on the screen. "Hotch? Is everything alright?" she asked immediately.

"Everything's fine, Tate. Garcia has done just fine in your absence," he said.

Tate waited for the other shoe to drop. "But?"

"We're headed to California. San Bernardino. Two home invasions a block apart. But I'm worried about the political turmoil in the area and the possible racial conflict that the murders may spark... How are you doing with everything?"

"If you're asking whether I've done all I need to do, the answer is yes. Do you need us back?"

"I would appreciate it."

"Then we'll hop the next Amtrak headed that way. When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning. We'll see you there."

"Oh, and Hotch!" she interrupted before he could hang up. Tate cut her eyes towards the bathroom where her boyfriend was freshening up. "Thanks for making me take Spence along. It was... He helped. A lot."

"I'm glad to hear it. And you're doing alright?"

Tate sighed. "There have been some interesting developments. But nothing I can't handle."

"I have a feeling there's very little you can't handle."

Tate smiled. "That means a lot coming from you."

Hotch nodded, though she couldn't see it. "We'll see you in San Bernardino."

<3

Tate and Spencer sat on the train the next day with the former's computer opened in front of them. After a very energetic hello, Garcia patched them into the jet so they could catch up on the case before their arrival.

"Brian Mitchell was an avid hunter. Matt Lewis was an Iraq war vet. Not surprising they both own guns," Prentiss said.

"Last year, southern California's inland empire ranked fourth in the nation in foreclosure rates. Typically, as the economy falls, crime rates rise," Spencer commented.

"Times are tough. Desperate people do desperate things," Rossi said.

An alert sounded on Tate's phone. "Looks like the sheriff I.D.'d both of the deceased home invaders. Garcia?"

"Yup. First up is Alex Collison, twenty. Made an impressive list of bad life decisions before he croaked, included but not limited to, possession, a couple of drug charges, a card-carrying member of the Verdugo Heights Boys," Garcia listed.