|| twenty-two

twenty-two || "closing time" season 7, episode 14

Garcia was able to find the unsub after he murdered someone who they determined was close to him personally. The man he murdered, Doug, was his ex-wife's new spouse and the biological father of his son, Hunter. The unsub, Michael, had his son captive so the team moved out to go take him into custody.

"Have your people maintain a perimeter around the building," Rossi ordered.

"Should we wait for SWAT?" the lead detective asked.

"We're out of time," Tate said. "Hunter knows Michael's not his real father."

"If he rejects him, Michael could lash out at whoever's closest, including Hunter," Reid continued.

"Alright, let's move," Morgan said as the four of them encroached on the building. They split up once they entered the bar. Rossi moved towards the back, Spencer behind the bar, while Morgan and Tate found the stairs to the second floor of the loft and the basement.

Tate took the basement and, the farther she moved, the more she could hear two indistinct, male voices. She took a deep, slow breath as she moved forward towards the men. Her gun was trained on Michael as she crept around one of the pantry shelves. "FBI. Michael Janeczko, put the gun down," she said, steeling her voice to come off as authoritative.

The weapon was pointed at his son's head as he held his free hand up to Tate. "He told me I wasn't his father," Michael cried.

Tate inched closer. "I'm s-sure you didn't mean that. Right, Hunter?" The teenager nodded hesitantly as tears streamed down his face. "You were frustrated."

Hunter composed himself and followed Tate's lead. "I-I was hurt because of what happened to Doug."

"And that wasn't your fault. Huh, Michael? It was an accident."

"I would never hurt my son," Michael sobbed.

Tate moved even closer and nodded at the teenager. "Tell him how you feel." At the boy's confusion she continued. "He raised you. No matter what, he- he'll always be your real dad."

Hunter nodded. "It's true. You were always there for me. You're my dad."

"Put your weapon down," Tate tried again.

"You put yours down! Do it!" he screamed.

Tate slowly moved her hands up in surrender and lowered her gun to the ground. "Ok. Hey, it's okay. That's no problem... We're all good here, alright?"

Michael refocused on his son and Tate took the moment of weakness to advance. She shoved Michael up against the cement wall and twisted his arm, the one holding the gun, away from herself, throwing her knee up at him until he dropped it. She grunted as she put all her force behind a left hook to his cheek.