|| forty-three

forty-three || "the inspiration: part 1" season 9, episode 1

"I say we all demand a vacation," Garcia complained with the team after Tate called them back not long after the conclusion of their last case.

"From the girl who stays here later than all of us while trying to publish her first book?" Spencer said with a fond smile. "Good luck with that."

"I appreciate the praise, Spence," Tate interrupted, making all of them turn towards her as she passed them by. She didn't even pause as she continued through the doors to the bullpen. "Sorry to call you back so soon, but people are dying."

"They always are, aren't they?" Alex sighed.

Soon, Rossi and Hotch joined them in the conference room, serving as Tate's cue to start the presentation of the case. The case, so far, involved two blonde women who were found dead in public parks with elaborate staging. Thei hands were posed in a prayer-like position and there were signs of sexual assault. The C.O.D. was a single gunshot wound to the heart. Tate also mentioned that their jewelry was left untouched, so it likely wasn't about robbery. Hotch announced wheels up in thirty and the group split up from the space.

When the team hit the ground in Arizona, Tate, Reid, JJ, and Hotch went to the police station. Tate and Spencer interviewed the victims' husbands while JJ re-interviewed the first victim's family. The man before Tate and Spencer seemed completely out of it as he spoke to them. "This is a dream, right? You're going to tell me this is a nightmare?" he muttered.

"We know this is difficult, Mr. Collins," Tate said softly.

"I don't know what to say. I need to call her parents."

"Can we ask you a few questions first?" Spencer said, then cleared his throat. "When was the last time you saw your wife?"

"Two days ago," he replied.

Spencer's eyebrows raised and he shared a look with Tate. "That's- That's a long time. Why didn't you call the police?"

"We've been separated. Yesterday, Emma was supposed to meet me at counseling, but she never showed up... We were doing better. We were talking, not yelling. In fact, she was planning on moving back in."

"And you didn't find it odd that she missed your session?" Spencer asked softly.

"I just thought she was getting cold feet. And that maybe she still wanted to..." A realization settled over Tate at his paus. When he spoke again, it was confirmed. "That she still wanted to be with him."

"Your wife was having an affair?" Tate said.

"Do you know who he was?" Spencer questioned.

"I asked her, but she wouldn't tell me," he said, finally glancing up at them.