|| fifty-eight

fifty-eight || "demons" season 9, episode 24

Later, Tate and Alex were still sitting around the waiting room. Alex was pacing the space while Tate sat with her leg bouncing, head in her hands. A doctor finally came into the room. "Agents," he said, bringing their attention up. They quickly stood together, Tate gripping Alex's hand for dear life.

"How, um... How is he?" she asked hesitantly.

"Incredibly lucky. Two millimeters to the right and it would've nicked his carotid artery." Tate's legs turned to jelly beneath her, but Alex kept her standing. She couldn't help but move forward and hug the doctor. "Come with me, Agent. You can come see him now."

Tate turned back to her friend. "Alex, can you-?"

"I'll call the team," she completed as she picked up Spencer's returned belongings. "You go. I'll meet you."

<3

Tate and Alex still sat side-by-side as they waited for him to wake up in his hospital room. Garcia had come to join them. She was carefully setting out figurines on the little desk hovering over his stomach. "It'll be so great if he wakes up and this is the first thing he sees."

Alex and Tate shared a fond smile. "Yeah. The Good Doctor will always make him smile," Alex said.

Tate's grin widened. "I'm gonna get to see him smile again."

Alex rubbed her friend's shoulder while Garcia stood over Spencer impatiently. Alex suddenly looked back and forth between the two. Garcia scoffed lightly. "It'd be really weird if he wakes up and we're all just staring at him. So, I'm gonna go... stand over here."

Garcia forced herself to walk over to the window, but Tate stayed put. "Won't matter..." she murmured. "I'm still gonna be staring at him."

<3

When Spencer finally woke up, he was making nerdy jokes within fifteen minutes. "When this comes off, I'm gonna look just like Boris Karloff."

"Yeah. A little green makeup and you'll have the best Halloween costume ever," Alex said.

"Does that make you Bride of Frankenstein?" Spencer asked, playing with Tate's fingers in his hand.

"I will be whatever you want me to be," she said, leaning down and holding his cheek in her hand. Alex smiled fondly and took a step away to give them a speck of privacy while they kissed.

When Spencer opened his eyes again, though, he looked troubled.

"Hey, everybody's fine. Don't you worry your pretty, little head."

He chuckled lightly, and said, "I'm not. I won't."

"Mm. But you've got that furrowed brow. Tells a different story."