The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 31

Chapter 31:

[Arria’s POV]

            A calming breeze brushed against Arria’s long white hair making it flutter behind her head. She stood at the edge of the forest staring blankly out towards the long white sanded beach towards the ocean. Too many years had passed since she saw the beautiful shimmering water. Seagulls soared across the sky, many croaking, and a few diving towards the sand to find a crab or fish. The sound of waves crashing against the open beached seemed to echo in her ears and she was half tempted to rush out and meet the waves.

            She began to wonder if there were any other lands across the vast ocean that beheld as much beauty as the one she stood on. A part of her always wanted to travel across the seas and find more life, but something always held her back. It could have been comfort or perhaps leaving her sister behind that kept her in the land of Calthoria. She wanted to show the power of magic to her sister and have her by her side. Starlyn was nearly as hardheaded as Arria though and she knew the likelihood of that outcome was scarce. There were so many things Arria wished to show her sister.

            Arria still wondered where she had gone wrong in the previous war. The victory had nearly been in her grasp. With only a few more moments she could have saved their mother, but she was too late and Starlyn was too quick. Starlyn was the one that stopped her that day. Arria tasted victory too soon and it was so bitterly sweet, until her sister stopped her. 

            She cleared her head and stepped out of the forest and into the soft sand. Her hand felt at her bosom and unlaced the plate mail that clung tight to her body. It fell to the ground in a ringing clatter followed by her lower armor and boots until she stood naked against the ocean breeze. Her soft black skin flawless at every curve glistened in the sunlight. Nobody was around and she felt the need to breathe. She had gone a long time without exposing herself and letting her body breathe in the way it was meant to. It was hard remembering the last time she had a bath and she knew that she wouldn’t have an opportunity again for a long time. A battle was coming and there were many things she still had to do.

            When the water first touched her skin she shivered not realizing it would be so cold. She walked forward until her entire bosom was underneath water before she began rubbing her body to take off the crusts of filth. Her body may have looked perfect, but she knew it had been weeks of sweat and blood since she last cleansed herself. The salty water surrounding her body made her feel relaxed and she swam for a while on her back before deciding she was well and clean.

            As she walked out from the water up on the beach she noticed a young boy approaching her. Water drizzled down her naked flesh coating her in what appeared like a mail of raindrops. The boy stopped a pace from her with eyes wide as he inspected her flawless body. His mouth opened as wide as his eyes and he brushed his long black hair from his face. He was young still, less than fifteen and still barely shy of what Arria would consider for more pleasing tasks. His name was Kelvnar and she had made him her squire after he did her bidding and killed his family at her command.

            “Do you like what you see?” She asked.

            “I… uh.”

            “Answer me truthfully boy.”

            “Yes, I do milady.” He gulped.

            “Good.” She smiled, “Perhaps one day I will let you do more than just look… if you serve me well.”

            “I will milady.”