The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

[Anaela’s POV]

Everything was quiet in the blackness inside of Anaela’s head. The loud battle cries of elves and humans alike surrounded her seemed to fade into oblivion. Her head ached and she wished that her last moments could be in peace and not despair but it was too much to ask for. Blood streaked her face and trickled down into her eyes and mouth. The taste of it was foul to her own lips but she knew to anyone else it would taste like bloody peaches and cream.

            Memories flooded into her mind of good times spent with her friend Starlyn and she truly missed her. There weren’t any other elves that understood Anaela as much as Starlyn had. Even though Starlyn was a high elf in the large city, she was still an outcast to her race. Anaela stayed in the outskirts of the city as a wood elf and she was truly alone. She didn’t even know if there were any more wood elves out there or if she was truly the last. The sulking feeling of being alone always tormented at Anaela’s mind. Elsargast had taken her in when she was a lost little girl and found her elves to care for him and she was grateful for his hospitality. However, now he was dead and the one who had been like a father to her was faded to only a memory.

            Another memory that streamed through her mind was the experience with Searon and his warm lips upon hers in the cold rain. She remembered getting lost in his touch and his musky essence that smelled like pipe tobacco and cinnamon. It was so different from the touch and smell of elves and she thought that was why she liked it so much. Elves had skin that was always so soft no matter if they were male or female and it was pleasant to have a rougher hand against her cheek and in her hair. The elves scent always smelled fruity or green like the different plants throughout the forest. Searon was so different and she liked it too much that she couldn’t rid her mind of his presence.

            She opened her eyes surprised that she was no slain yet, or perhaps she was and that was what the next life was like. It did feel extraordinary like she was indeed in Searon’s arms with Starlyn off to the side smiling at the two of them. All of it was her imagination though when her eyes snapped open she saw Arria standing above her smiling. The smile was both cruel and happy and that above all gave Anaela chills.

            “This is where you meet your doom, Anaela of the wood elves.” Arria grinned.

            She took another step forward holding her flamberge true to Anaela’s heart. “Sudegam will fall. Do you have any last words?”

            “I forgive you.” Anaela whispered.

            “What’s that?” Arria roared shaking her blade unsteadily.

            “I forgive you, Arria of the high elves. It is not your fault you have strayed away from the light and are clouded by the darkness. I do not blame you. I forgive you.”

            Arria’s eyes seemed to water and a lone tear slowly trickled down her face to her violet lips. She held her flamberge unsteady and gulped so large that it seemed to get caught in her throat. The wind violently tossed her snow white hair behind her onyx face. Her face looked solemn and lost and her lips were lost for words. The dark color of her eyes seemed to fade for a moment appearing to be a calmer color as she looked at Anaela.

            The moment did not last long however and her eyes quickly darkened and she clutched the flamberge tightly in her hands causing her onyx skin to appear even darker. She raised the blade far into the air smiling cruelly before bringing it down towards Anaela. Anaela flinched and closed her eyes as she awaited her death.