The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

[Starlyn POV]

            Starlyn reached for her water skin letting a few drops fall into her mouth as she looked up to the stars and moon. The few drops settled her thirst but her stomach still grumbled for something to eat. She looked to her friend, the tiger, in envy as she tore through a boar one piece at a time. Before now she would look in disgust, but for some reason the fruit that sat on her lap didn’t suffice her anymore. The food filled her stomach but not for long and it wasn’t settling for her. It didn’t seem to give her as much energy as she would normally have. Perhaps it was what was wrong with her, but she could only wonder if there was something more she could eat to gain strength.

            In the sky a shooting star soared across the moon and she smiled. Her mother always told her that if she were to see a shooting star to make a wish and no matter what it was it would come true. Silently she wished that everything would be okay and that she would make it through the hardship. With her arms wrapped around her legs she closed her eyes and leaned her head back enjoying the peace of mind. Suddenly she felt the comfort of a warm furry blanket rub against her face followed by a rough wet texture across her cheek.

            Her eyes opened to see Snowflake’s tongue about to get her other cheek. She laughed and collapsed to the ground rolling around trying to hide from her friend’s tongue. Her efforts were in vain as Snowflake dropped her paw on Starlyn’s abdomen trapping her for another rough lick on her opposite cheek. Starlyn giggled and pried herself free of the tiger’s grasp on her knees now gently massaging Snowflake’s neck. Snowflake cocked her head to the side relaxing at the gentle touch of the elf.

            Charlotte walked up to her now with a half lip smile making her cheeks swell out which showed off her freckles. She stood as tall as Starlyn was with her still on her knees and looked at her eye level. Starlyn smiled back to the young girl.

            “I’m glad you’re feeling better.” Charlotte smirked.

            “Snowflake always knows how to bring out happiness in me. I feel some better, but I’m still weak.” Starlyn admitted.

            “How much longer do we have?” Charlotte asked.

            “Much further to go young one. It is going to take us some time.” Starlyn answered looking solemn.

            Charlotte walked closer to Starlyn a yawn escaping her mouth as she gave Starlyn a hug. Starlyn was surprised at first but soon noticed Charlotte’s head resting on her shoulder and knew that she must be tired. It must have been hard for the young girl to be traveling relentlessly. She heard Snowflake curling up to a ball behind her and she gently leaned back laying her head on the tiger’s soft fur. Gently she rubbed Charlotte’s face that was on her chest now and began to sing an elven song to bring the little girl into a relaxing slumber.

The stars are out and shine so bright;
to protect you from the night
Listen to the owls that howl,
they bring peace as they watch over you.

Continuing to grow the plants surround you,
to envelope you with love and protection.
Rest my child ever so,
for there is nothing to fear with me so near.

Every animal is full of peace and love,
Do not fear, do not doubt,
there will be no trouble,
as long as they are out.

Rest my child ever so,
do not worry, you are safe.
The stars shine bright tonight,
and they are watching over you.

#

Starlyn shot up in the morning to the clashing of metal and looked around. Charlotte was nowhere to be found and Snowflake had just woken up from her abruptness and now yawned. She rubbed her eyes and tried to focus again but still saw no trace of Charlotte.

            “Snowflake… find Charlotte!” Starlyn spat.

            Looking at her surroundings she quickly attached all of her armor and weapons. Getting to her feet too soon was a mistake and she felt dizzy and fell back to the ground. A sharp pain shot through her stomach up to her chest and she tightened her muscles in agony. Finally she focused enough strength to gently get back up to her feet. Her body felt numb and weak and she stretched which shot a muscle spasm into her left leg and she fell back to the ground. She tried her best to shake her mind from the numbing pain but it was overwhelming her.

            It took several minutes of cringing her face in agony and lying on the ground before the pain finally subsided and she sat up. What she saw when her eyes opened she didn’t expect. She was surrounded by at least twelve heavily armored bodies.

            “Is she one of us?” a soft voice asked.

            “No, it doesn’t look like it, look her armor is too well designed to be a part of us.”  A raspier voice remarked.

            “It looks like… she’s an…” the first soft voice spoke.

            “She’s an elf.” a confident voice interrupted.

            Everything around her was a blur and she struggled blinking her eyes trying to make sense of what was going on. Finally her vision became clear and she could see the several others holding weapons to her. She could see them, but still she couldn’t believe it. Never had she seen anything like it before… not from humans. Standing before her were twelve heavily armored and equally beautiful human women holding out short swords pointed at Starlyn.

            “Who are you?” Starlyn asked.

            “It is not you who gets to ask the questions here.” The confident voice spoke again, coming from a redheaded woman.

            “Kelly, take her in for questioning.” The soft voice ordered which came from a beautiful brunette.

            “With pleasure.” Kelly, the redhead, smiled.

            She walked over to the shocked Starlyn holding her sword tight she rose it up well above Starlyn’s head and bashed the hilt of her short sword into the back of Starlyn’s skull. The last thing Starlyn saw was the large grin of the redheaded woman before she faded into unconsciousness. She hit the ground in a thud dizzily dreaming of being back with her sister as a child.