The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 33

Chapter 33:

[Searon’s POV]

            Warm rays of sizzling sunlight dazzled through the room through shades of the open window. Searon rolled lazily, not quite wanting to get up, when his hand came across something softer than silk, his eyes opened cautiously and he looked to his side, shocked to discover Anaela lying cuddled up to him in nothing but her green nightgown. He gulped as he tried to recall events from the night before, but to the best of his knowledge he went to bed alone. The night before he had taken the floor and made sure she was secure in the bed, as was the gentleman custom, at least for him, but last night she wasn’t ready to sleep yet, and his mind was worn. She insisted that he take the bed, and that her thoughts were continuously astray, and she had wanted some fresh air of the night to ponder on all they had learned that day.

            Yet there she was in the same bed as he, and curled up to him, as if she would fall off the bed if she weren’t tangled up in him. He was glad to be wearing his undergarment britches, instead of the way he preferred to sleep when he was alone in a bed, though he couldn’t see himself doing that too close to the gorgeous elf, or else thoughts might go astray when he would awake. The warmth was welcoming, and yet he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do. In the past she had grown frustrated with him if he got too close, and so how would she react if he would return her closeness. He fought every urge in his body to caress her and hold her tight in his arms. Instead his hand found hers where his fingers entwined with her own, and he grinned to himself and closed his eyes.

            His heart warmed with her so close to him and she shifted in her sleep so that her other hand draped over his chest entangled in his chest hair. He smiled to himself as he felt her warmth on him, and wondered if that was what perfection felt like. For so long he had been miserable with the loss of his family always on his mind, but Anaela seemed to cure his sorrow from the first moment he met her. He didn’t understand it, but instead went with it. His mind was soothed without the constant reminder of how many days and hours had passed since the loss of his family. With her in his life, his past was still there, but it didn’t affect the front of his mind like it had before. He could sleep through the night, and the night before where the two had been cuddled together, was the best sleep he’d ever known in years.

            Anaela stirred and Searon froze, still not relinquishing his hand from hers as she shifted and opened her eyes. They grew wide as they saw where her body was compared to Searon, but she didn’t move. Her breaths came in rapid bursts as she tried to see if Searon were awake, which turned into a gasp when he turned his head to look at her and smile. She withdrew both of her hands, tearing a few strands of chest hair out in the process, and rolled to her side of the bed where she immediately began slipping into more modest clothes.

            Birds began a gentle song outside the window, a soothing chirp that seemed to drag him from his dreams of being in Anaela’s arms. He didn’t want to get to his feet, but knew that he must. Carefully, Searon slid to the edge of the bed where he put on a robe to mask himself from the cool breeze that came from the window.  He looked to Anaela whom still had a terrified look on her face, and knew that in that moment she would keep away from him as much as she was able as she had the time before when they got close. It was something to expect now, but at least he knew that she cared for him, but was too scared to get too close. He still didn’t know why, whether it was because she was afraid of him, or because she was afraid of the elves and what they would think. Stepping out on the balcony with his pipe and tobacco he began puffing on it after lighting it with a hot coal.

            Anaela softly stepped behind Searon holding her breath. She slipped an arm around Searon and hugged him tight in a half embrace. Searon turned and looked at her questionably.