The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

[Searon POV]

            A dim light overhung Searon as he sat at an oak desk searching through scrolls. Elsargast had just left him to his studies after discussing some of the elves defenses. It was the first time a human was allowed access to documents concerning the defenses of Sudegam. He was rather pleased with the king’s cooperation with the human’s now. Elsargast knew that without the numbers of the humans Sudegam stood little chance against the rage of the upcoming force.

            A feather rested in Searon’s rough hands as he wrote down designs of his own for his men to follow. After ever few strokes he dipped the tip of his feather into the glass ink container next to the paper before scribing down more information. He gathered as much information as Elsargast was letting him know to better design his plans.

            A swift knock at the door startled him which caused him to make a streak of ink across on the fresh sheet of paper. The overwhelming smell of ink tickled his nose and he gentle rubbed it getting to his feet. He let his feather drop into the glass ink bottle and rose to his feet pushing in his chair. He checked the candlelight which hung above his desk making sure it wasn’t about to burn out before he softly walked to the door.

            With a soft creak the door swung inwards and he was surprised to find Anaela standing to greet him. She was alone and her expression was not to his liking as he saw fear in her eyes. Without saying a word she pushed her way inside and past Searon without a second glance. Bewildered he peaked out the door finding the hall of the library empty before gently closing.

            Turning around he found that Anaela was sitting in his desk with her hands covering her face. He silently hoped that she came to see him about the moment they had shared but soon realized it would either be more romantic or violent if that were the case. Instead he walked silently to where she sat at his desk and sat at the corner.

            “Is everything alright?” He sincerely asked.

            She looked up to him and he noticed the large circles around her eyes. She was worn out and tired, that much he could tell and he only wished he could comfort her. However, he accepted that it would not be such a great idea as she already was resilient on even speaking to him. He wished they could find a common ground but it seemed she wanted to stay as far away from her feelings as she could.

            “No, something is amiss.” She sighed shaking her head.

            He paused and he considered what she had meant. As far as he could tell everything was going according to their plan. Each commander organized their men well and communicated with each other and the dark force was still far out of reach. Thoughts crossed his mind but it all faded when she looked up to him and their eyes locked.

            Her gorgeous green eyes sank deep into his and he saw genuine fear and concern. It wasn’t concern for him but for everybody and it scared Searon. She was a mess and he soon realized that it was the first time he had seen her in such disarray. Her once perfect straight hair was now a tangled mess and the smile that he loved so much seemed to be hidden under a layer of frowns. Yet, still despite all that he still marveled at her beauty.

            Strangely even without knowing her all that well or for even that long he felt genuinely comfortable in her presence. It was what made him crave her even more and it was what she was trying to stay away from. There were few women in his life that made him felt this comfortable. There was always Starlyn, but during all their travels he realized how much he treasured her friendship. He knew after a while that with her it wasn’t a path he ever wished to travel. She wasn’t his type, yet Anaela…