The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 29

Chapter 29:

[Anaela’s POV]

            Anaela sat quietly in the nearly empty room staring at her hands. They seemed smaller than normal yet she knew in reality they were the same proportion as her body. Still, she was unable to move her eyes away from observing her hands. It seemed if she looked hard enough she may be able to spot magic sparkling across them. There was no magic, or at least no magic that she could observe.

            She looked up and saw Searon doing the same thing as he stared at his hands in disbelief. He seemed content in poking one of his hands with the other as if searching for a spark of magic. The room they were both sitting in was small, much smaller than it appeared. Both sat at a blue stained oak table with only two chairs across from each other. Neither looked at each other since they arrived and neither spoke barely a word after the faeries invited them into the room.

            The room was set with bright colors of blue and greens scattered about in what seemed like mismatched patterns. Nothing seemed to match except in the consistency of bright odd colors. Faeries seemed to like the vast brightness of colors more so than anybody she had ever seen. The high elves in the city of Sudegam seemed fond of green and gold. Most of the more elegant things in Sudegam were made of gold and green was only popular because of its nature appearance. All elves loved nature, even if they weren’t one with nature as the wood elves were. Anaela however was the only wood elf. She wished she could remember the rest of her kind, or at least where they were.

            Pictures scattered the walls of various faeries with bright orange, red, blue, or green hair that seemed strange in appearance. Anaela wasn’t accustom to anything but black, gold, blond, brunette, and red hair. Yet the red hair she was used to was more like sparkling orange and not pure bright red. It was a blinding color that Anaela couldn’t stare directly at. The room was small without rooms and only one bed that appeared large enough for the two of them. She kept eyeing the single bed and back to Searon but he seemed oblivious of the predicament. He seemed more concerned studying his hands.

            “They aren’t going to grow back to their normal size by staring at them.”

            He looked back at her with a twinkle in his stone green eyes. A smile lit up on his face that melted her heart. “I just can’t believe that we’re no larger than a dragonfly.”

            “How else would you expect these faeries to house us?”

            “In all honesty, I haven’t thought about it. I figured we could come and ask for help and return with an army.”

            “I told you before that faeries are all about games. We are lucky that they even chose to appoint the council to hear us out.”

            “Luck? I don’t need luck. Besides there’s no such thing, unless bad luck is what you’re referring to.”

            “Ah yes, the mighty Searon. Part faerie. You knew this whole time they would let you in because of who you were didn’t you?”

            He smiled, “I had an idea, although I’m not sure I’m truly part faerie.”

            “You lied to them?”

            “No, what I believe is that my mother was sick and so she asked for help. She was enchanted with faerie blood, but since she was human she couldn’t have a full amount. I believe it changed her to part faerie. It gave her strength enough to bore me as a child and for several more years until my brother was born, but I think that ultimately the blood didn’t mix with her well and she died.”