The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

[Arria POV]

            Arria looked down towards the ground at the two unconscious beings before her. One was elf and the other human. Pathetic. That was the only word she could use to describe them. By herself she overcame both of them in a battle of swords. She figured the human to be weak, but even the elf was useless. She had always known Anaela to be the archer, but she was too predictable to dodge arrows from.    

            Loosening her grip she shelved her sword back in its scabbard. They weren’t worth the effort because her mission was too important. With her two stalkers out of her way she was now free to continue with her plans.  A twisted grin scraped at her face as she continued running towards the heart of Sudegam.

            The wind surrounded her face and slightly tickled her, triggering a memory of her sister and her running through the forest together.  Life was so simple back then when they were both carefree before mother got sick. Starlyn was weak and couldn’t see it as Arria could. Arria had saved mother but Starlyn just wouldn’t let it happen. She pictured her own pale skin and black hair running through the forest chasing after a much younger blond Starlyn.

The memories came back from time to time as her life as an elf. She had to admit that she did have fun as an elf, yet she was glad to be freed of such regulations. The one thing that never left her during her transition was her love for her sister. Even when it was her sister who caused her death, but the magic was too deep and it took over and changed her. For the better. She was stronger now, and one day she would find her sister and convince her of the same.

She shook the memory of her sister and her playing in the blurry forest laughing and pushing each other around. It was such a happy memory, one that Arria could only hope for again… if Starlyn could see the way.

Arria came to an abrupt stop as she rounded a corner of the trees to an unpleasant smell filling her nostrils. Humans. The mere thought of them brought the taste of stale bread to her mouth and she nearly gagged. Turning around the corner of the oak tree she saw them, four, and they were talking amongst themselves. Two of them seemed to be of importance as they wore heavier armor and broader swords.

It would take too much time to claim the four lives of the humans, especially two of them being captains she dared not judge their sword skill. Pulling a dark powder from a pouch she silently blew her cold breath onto it and it swirled to life in purple and black glitter.

Standing before her was a life sized skeleton with a bone sword and shield. Its white bones seemed frail but its looks were deceiving. The skeleton looked up to its master and she smiled pointing to the four humans. Glowing purple exited its eyes at the skull and it turned laughing abruptly heading for the humans.

“What is that!?” Shrieked a human pointing toward the skeleton.

Arria watched for a moment as the humans scattered trying to get their weapons loose in horror as the skeleton came rushing at them. She smiled before turning to slip past them closer to her designation.

She neared the heart of Sudegam now and knew it was covered with many preparing warriors and elf guards throughout. Peaking around a bush she saw the several patrols around the city. There was no way she would be able to walk into the town unnoticed.

The old worn paths encircling the city were of light brown dirt and scattered chips of rocks. On every side of the path there were bushes with flowers and exotic leaves. The smell of the fresh plants soothed the air and still brought relaxation to Arria’s nostrils. It was one of the things that the elves were best at, growing plants.