The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

[Zergiel POV]

            The room was dark, and that was how he liked it. There was such dark energy surrounding him. It was the only thing that made him smile, that gave him peace. It was ultimate hate that he lived for. Revenge. Karceoles must die for doing this to him, for killing his beloved. Oh how he missed her. She was the only good thing in his life.

            “Hairamat…” He whispered his love’s name.

            He looked down at his hands, so wrinkled and dark. They were tan from centauries of living. It was torture living for so long, especially now, without his love. She was the one person that brought him balance. He almost remembered himself as a normal person before she got sick. He was changed now. It was all for her, to save her life, and he did, until Karceoles killed her.

            He ran water on his fingers and poured the hot water on his face. It burned and steamed around his red eyes. He looked in the mirror at his savage face. His gray beard wasn’t short anymore, but long and all over his face. His wrinkles had only worsened. He put his black robe on and walked outside.

            The light tore into his eyes and almost blinded him. His room was so dark compared to outside. After his eyes adjusted he saw the draeyk and daerions acting restless. It was exactly as he wanted them, craving battle. When they finally got to attack, they will not stop.

            “Lord Zergiel.” Came a slither.

            He looked up to see a draeyk dressed in blue leather mail. His complexion was dark except for his black scales that moonlight shone off of. This was his captain for the draeyk.

            “Yes Rabok?” Zergiel asked.

            “We hunger for battle,” he slithered.

            “Not yet, trust me, when the time is right we will strike, not before,” Zergiel said.

            Another warrior walked up to him, this one a daerion dressed in red leather armor. It made him stand out more than any other with his rough blue skin underneath bright red armor. His horns going towards his jaw were beaten from hard battle.

            “Yes captain?” Zergiel asked.

            “Your necromancers have arrived,” he informed.

            “Thank you,” Zergiel said.

            He looked at his three necromancers. All had black and gray hair down their back and a full face of neatly trimmed hair coming to a point at their chins. It would almost be impossible to tell them apart if not for the different color robes.

            The youngest and newest addition to their force was Darelme. He wore dark green robes and was the one who came up with raising dead scorpions for an army. He created the Nacropis. Zergiel was grateful for his addition to the force.

            The oldest was Valender. He wore purple robes and had always excelled at raising the dead. He was one of the first ones that Zergiel had met when his life started changing.

            The last was Dumarst. He wore yellow robes and was the best at spells. He liked to cast frost armor and unholy speed. He was also working on a spell to permanently increase the Nacropis armor.

            “What do you have for me?” Zergiel asked.

            Darelme held up a cage full of scorpions. A few were small and others large. Only some were of the same species. Some were black and others beige and even a few blue ones. Not all of them were alive as some had already been killed by the others.

            Zergiel smiled at the start of his army of Nacropis. They were by far the most formidable foe. Zergiel poked his finger at the black metal cage only to be almost pinched. He hoped to create an entire army of Nacropis’. He knew the draeyk and daerions could only help so much but with Nacropis’ he could easily destroy mankind.

            “And they will be able to be controlled?” Zergiel asked.

            “So far only for a limited time, however we are working on crafting a spell to make them permanently under our control,” Dumarst said.

            “Very good, now you must find more. I want an army of them. I want our final march on Sudegam to be its destruction!”

#

            Zergiel stood in the shadows of the night. It was this area that actually scared him. He was going to the only place that was unpredictable. The wind blew harsh and the freezing temperature gave Zergiel chills. The sky was black and full of glowing stars, enough to light up the clearing that Zergiel stood in.

            He was impatient, yet he waited. He knew impatience would only make things more difficult. He saw a shadow disappear in front of him. It happened so quick even he could barely see it. He held his hands at his waist clasped over each other and closed his eyes. He waited several minutes.

            “I’ve been expecting you.” Came a cruel female voice.

            He opened his eyes to see her in front of him. Her beauty outmatched any other. Her charcoal skin shone in the stars and long pearl hair fluttered in the wind. Her red eyes were intoxicating. Her skin was so soft and he only wished he could touch it.

            “Arria… I come to ask for your help,” Zergiel said.

            She watched him carefully, studying him. She broke out a small half smile. “What is in it for me?”

            “Sudegam’s destruction,” he said.

            “And what of sister?” she asked.

            “Her life spared and turned over to you, everyone else… there won’t be prisoners,” Zergiel grinned.

            Arria smiled full this time. She had perfect white teeth. She placed a dagger she had in her hand, close to Zergiel’s throat, back on her belt. She wore chain mail with black plate armor covering her chest, hips and long boots. The rest of her soft charcoal skin was exposed.

            “So will you help?” Zergiel asked.

            “What all do I have to do?” she asked.

            “Be a general of my army for the attack,” he said.

            “You did not choose me so you can have a general. What is it you need with my… abilities?” she asked.

            “Come to my camp and I’ll explain all the details of what I need you to do,” he said as he smiled.