The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

[Searon POV]

            Searon stirred on the ground feeling weak while a haze surrounded his mind. He wasn’t sure what had just happened but he had a feeling that it wasn’t good. Turning his head his vision began to focus and he saw Anaela lying on the ground next to him with her head turned the other way. Quickly he turned and crawled close to her body and rolled her over. Her eyes were closed and hair covered most of her face. Gently Searon wiped her hair away and looked at her savoring in her beauty. He put his middle and index finger beneath her jaw and felt for a pulse which came but was slow.

            “Anaela…” Searon whispered.

            She didn’t budge and so he gently shook her at her shoulder but there was still no sign of her coming to. Memories came flooding back to him as he remembered Arria attacking both of them and then running off. He had to go find her before it was too late and vigorously shook Anaela now but to no avail. Memorized he hovered over her staring at her beauty lacing her soft brunette hair in his fingers. Closing his eyes he leaned in and gently grazed his lips with hers before shaking out of it and standing up.

            He lifted her up and made sure her sword was attached at her sash before putting her on his shoulders. The weight was nothing compared to toting a human around, and she weighed a great deal less than when he had to carry Andron. Even though he still felt weak he had well enough strength to continue on.

            The terrain was rough on the way back and it seemed even more so than it had been when they came to the area. He only hoped that he was going the right way as he looked up to Anaela who was still passed out. Sighing he looked around the surroundings noticing a few birds flying away as if something had scared them. He decided to continue in the direction they were flying from.

            The forest had an eerie stillness to it and what was once a very lively forest full of critters and animals crawling about was now empty or being scattered. There were many more animals that were running away from the direction he was running and it made him feel uneasy. There was definitely something bad happening and the animals knew it. Even the plants looked different and seemed wilted down instead of sprouting up and full of life.

            Finally after what felt like endless running he broke through into Sudegam and looked around. Everything seemed too quiet there as well but he didn’t know where to look. The faces of the male and female elves that walked the streets seemed gloom and confused yet they continued to walk. Plants in town were the same as the ones in the forest wilting down.

            Searon slowly and quietly walked deeper into the town pondering where to go. The complete silent was disturbing and he could only hope he could hear distress somewhere to know where he should be, but there was nothing. Even the sparring field was quiet, which didn’t make a whole lot of sense as he could see a few elves battling there. Perhaps the quietness was just him and he couldn’t hear anything at the moment.

            A tall male elf stood in front of him and his lips were moving but he could hear nothing. The expression on his face was blank, yet looked tired, as if the life was draining out of him as well. Searon shook his head trying to clean his mind and hear what the elf was saying.

            “What were you saying?” Searon asked looking back to the man.

            “I asked you if anything is wrong.” The male elf stated.

            “Yes… yes something is… but I don’t know what.” Searon replied.

            “Do you need help?” He asked.