The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

[Arria POV]

“It has been too long my lord.” Arria announced.

 “So you have come back?” Elsargast acknowledged.

“I have come to finish what I have started.” Arria stated.

“What then? After you bring chaos to everyone… what will you do then?” Elsargast asked.

“Enjoy life.” Arria smiled.

“Your sister won’t join you.” Elsargast challenged.

“You know nothing of what my sister will do!” Arria screamed. “Speaking of dear sister… where is she?”

“She’s gone.” Elsargast said.

“Where has she gone?” Arria asked.

“Even I do not know that.” Elsargast said.

Arria took a step closer feeling her sword with her right palm. The king still sat in his throne looking down upon her clearly not threatened by her presence. His long black hair was tied behind his head and resting under a golden crown full of rubies. His face was aged yet there weren’t any traces of wrinkles. The clothes he wore were green and purple robes made of silk and satin. He did not look like the young brave king that was displayed as statues around the city anymore. A necklace draped down his chest with a large sparkling ruby entwined in gold.  His green eyes were honest and she decided to accept that he truly didn’t know where her sister was.

“Do you know why I’m here?” Arria asked walking steadily towards him swaying her hips up the golden stairs.

“Yes I do.” Elsargast said.

“Then let’s get it over with shall we?” Arria challenged grasping her sword and holding it steadily in front of her.

“Why do you hate us so much?” Elsargast asked rising from his throne.

Smiling she continued walking up to him letting her sword fall from an offensive position. She was hoping that he would ask that question. There was so much she couldn’t stand about the elves that she didn’t know where to begin.

“It’s not them I hate… it’s you.” Arria admitted. “You are the one who puts such regulations on the elves. We may not love outside of our kind. We cannot have children except during the dawn of the century. We aren’t allowed to leave our land. You treat us like children and we can only do what you think is right.”

“It is the way it has always been. It is for everyone’s protection.” Elsargast said.

“Protection? What is a life without chaos?” Arria asked rising her sword again.

Without hesitation the king was off of his throne sword already in hand slashing at Arria. Surprised she hardly had time to block such an attack and nearly stumbled from the stairs. In the last moment she caught her balance only slipping from one step as she repositioned herself for defense. It was lucky she was able to switch to a defensive position as quickly as Elsargast was steadily throwing downward strikes her way. A smile fell upon his face as he had the upper hand in the battle because of his higher ground positioning. She soon realized she couldn’t hold him for much longer and glanced for a way down the stairs.

Elsargast noticed her glance and flipped through the air to land behind her slicing at her legs which caused him to come crashing down next to him and tumble down the stairs. Injured she looked up to him with curiosity in her eyes. He was still smiling as he quietly walked down the stairs turning his sword in his hands. It was indeed a beautiful sword, a bastard sword, yet it wasn’t pure steel as most swords. The blade was a mix of metals of titanium, steel, iron, and gold, which made it a light gold in color. Its hilt crafted with elven words all around it and a leather wrap making it comfortable for the king’s grip.