The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 30

Chapter 30:

[Searon’s POV]

            An unsettling chill breeze brushed across Searon’s warm face awakening him in the morning. Small rays of sunlight beamed in through the windows of the bright blue and green wall. The brightness nearly blinded him and he turned away rubbing his eyes. He noticed a heavy bright green wool blanket draped over most of his body. After stretching and getting to his feet he gently folded the blanket and set it on the table. He wasn’t aware of grabbing a blanket through the night but it was still too early for his thoughts to process.

            The smell of fresh bread and porridge filled the air with such a pleasant aroma that Searon’s mouth began to water. His eyes were still blurry and so he rubbed at them again to notice Anaela in the kitchen pulling out a small loaf of fresh bread from a large rectangle box. She slowly cut it into slices and rubbed what appeared to be fresh mashed apricots onto them with the knife. After blinking his eyes a few more times he walked over to the table to sit where there was a full breakfast already prepared for the two of them.

            Fresh bread sat on a plate in the middle with a few of them covered with fruit. A cold glass of milk in thin tall steel containers was at each side. In front of him was a large bowl of creamy white porridge that nearly made him drool. At the side of the bowl was a saucer with honey in it and a spoon. He took a few spoonfuls of honey to mix in his porridge and after stirring it up he watched Anaela.

            She seemed busy tidying up the kitchen and putting containers away before she sat down. When she finally did she only looked back at him and smiled innocently. Her smile sank into his heart and he remembered why he liked it so much. His heart seemed to melt each time he saw her smile and all control over himself seemed to vanish because he couldn’t help but to smile back.

            “What’s this for?” He asked.

            “I assumed you would be hungry.”

            “I am, but you have never made me anything before.”

            She looked at him as if she were at a loss for words. It appeared as if she was nervous about his question which only made him want the answer even more. He knew she was kind and courteous, but making him breakfast when she appeared to want to keep him at bay didn’t make sense. 

            “It is to thank you for listening to me yesterday. I have never been able to open up to another honestly like that. Even Starlyn doesn’t know as much as I’ve confessed to you.” Her cheeks reddened and she looked away.

            “You are more than welcome to tell me anything you want.”

            “I know.” She whispered.

            Searon nodded approvingly before dipping into his porridge. The taste was overwhelming and possibly the best porridge he had ever tasted. Fresh cut fruit of strawberries and peaches were inside the porridge along with the few spoonfuls of honey. The fresh bread was just as immaculate with sweetness to it that he had never experienced before.

            “Thank you for taking the floor.” Anaela spoke after her first bite of porridge.

            Searon swallowed his mouthful of porridge before looking up to her eyes; the eyes that seemed entrapping his very soul into her gaze. He saw the respect for him that lingered deep within her flickering green eyes. Her expression was so innocent and at the same time so stunningly beautiful that he felt at a loss for words. He felt a mere pebble in the presence of an angel that during times he felt it hard to speak to such perfection.