The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

[Searon’s POV]

            Searon stood with his men near the back entrance of Sudegam waiting for his chance to strike down some draeyks. He knew they were going to come from the south entrance and already had everything coordinated to deflect an attack. He made sure to let Aliqua know of his thoughts regarding their attack and he was correct assuming that the elves were only concerned about the north side. Luckily Aliqua listened to him and placed scouts in the trees on all sides. It was no surprise to Searon when a scout came back from the treetops of the south to gather the rest.

            It was a waiting game now as the spell casters were able to knock out as many as they were able before being stopped. It was only a matter of time and Searon suspected Arria would be amongst the attackers and figured they wouldn’t last long. It did surprise him how long Aliqua and the other spell casters were fighting them outside the city before they came dashing back. Hopefully it was effective enough and not hurtful to them and he only hoped that they didn’t lose too many. However, the look on Aliqua’s face was solemn when she looked at Searon.

            “Benedict, warn Andron and Etherond of the army’s entrance to the city.” Searon whispered.

            “Sir, they have not entered yet.” Benedict responded.

            Within moments a scourge of draeyks and daerions came crashing through the stone walls and Searon pulled out his claymore ready to charge. Benedict beside him looked worried now and his face was in shock. Searon chose him to be his runner as he was young and fast, but also because of his lack of experience he hoped that this would cause less injury for the young man.

            “At once Sir Searon, my apologies.” Benedict shivered.

            A smile found itself on Searon’s lips, not only for the reaction of Benedict but because his claymore was about to taste blood. He rushed at a draeyk pushing his blade hard against the creature’s small sabre. His face was close to the draeyk’s lizard skull which snarled at him. The breath of the creature was foul beyond any stench that Searon could think of, and it caused him to take a few steps back to await the creature’s next attack.

            Now another draeyk stepped forward and snarled at Searon. He was too busy noticing the large horns traveling from its snout up to its forehead to care about a snarl. Most of the draeyks he had faced before now had slight nubs in different areas of their skull, but never as defined as this. In fact the more Searon thought about it the more he noticed it amongst the draeyks in front of him. It was as if they had been mutated to be stronger, or at least look fiercer. A few even had facial horns below their chin which made them even more intimidating. There were even draeyks with slight discolors of spots on their underside which consisted of their neck, chest, and down to their belly.

            As the two draeyk came at him he angled his claymore effectively to block both blows with one strike. He backed up and kicked dirt into their eyes but it only affected one. He took the opportunity to throw his new throwing knife at the draeyk which caught it in the throat before it crumbled to the ground. Searon was quite sad when the knife didn’t reappear in its sash and wished he still had his magical throwing knife but knew it was doing much more good in Starlyn’s hand. He only hoped that she was doing alright.

            The bearded draeyk rushed at Searon with an attack so quick and fierce that Searon was only able to block the first two strikes and dodge the third before it slashed his arm. He backed up and felt his arm sting as he looked at it. The draeyk skillfully hit a spot in between plate mail attachments, but luckily Searon had chainmail underneath which protected it from being fatal. It would still leave a bruise and Searon was becoming enraged.