The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 26

Chapter 26:

[Searon’s POV]

            There was a cool summer breeze that settled around them on the seventh day at midday. They traveled fast on their way to the faerie city that Anaela wasn’t quite sure where it resided. All that she told was that she would know it when she saw it. Searon began to wonder if they would ever find the place. Thoughts of how faeries lived drifted through his head.

            “What is it that we should be looking for?” He asked.

            “The place we are to find will be small. It will not look like a village or city of any kind. The faeries are more a part of nature than the elves.”

            “Surely there must be something that defines where they live.”

            “They will be close to the ocean. Seashells are their favorite ornaments.”

            “Okay, at least that is something. Seashells out of place could be an indicator.”

            “Colors. Faeries adore bright colors. There will be plenty of bright green, pink, and blues. Flowers of such colors grow near the beach.”

            “How small?”

            “Excuse me?”

            “How small are these creatures. The stories were never clear.”

            “They are the size of dragonflies and butterflies.”

            Searon gasped loudly, widening his eyes. “How can such little beings help us?”

            “Faeries are magic Searon. Elves barely touch magic, afraid of its use. There are some, but our spell casters are few. There are also some humans that can wield the ability. However, faeries are the ability. The very existence of faeries is magic. Size is insignificant to pure magic. At any time they can choose to be any size they wish.”

            “Why do they choose to be small?”

            “Do not be foolish Searon. Use that thick skull of yours. If you could choose for a single apple to barely satisfy you, or a single bite to fill you for a day, which do you choose?”

            Searon nodded.

            The hot weather brought sweat that clung to Searon’s scruffy face. Weather didn’t affect Anaela in any way. It didn’t seem to affect any elves. A cool breeze brushed across them once again. The wind smelled of salt and water that made Searon lick his lips. He could hear the faint sound of seagulls chirping in the distance.

            “We are near. The ocean is likely only seven leagues away.”

            “How can you tell?” Anaela asked.

            “I can smell it.”

            Anaela flinched before she sniffed the air herself. “I smell nothing. How is it you claim to have better senses than the elves?”

            “Because I do.” Searon replied.

            “That is impossible for a mere human.”

            “Well… that is your mistake. Perhaps I am not a mere human.”

            She was about to open her mouth when her nose twitched. Salt and water filled her nostrils in a soothing smell. It chilled her to her bones as she looked at the back of Searon’s head. Her mind quivered over the fact that Searon had noticed the smell before her.