The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 27

Chapter 27:

[Arria’s POV]

Darkness crept through the air and an unnerving chill ran across Arria’s face. She left it bare unlike the rest of her body that was covered in blackened steel armor. When she had first put it on years ago it had not been comfortable for her but these days the comfort was within the armor. It was a pleasant feeling to be neither hot nor cold under the silver chainmail with blackened plate armor secured atop. It protected her when she was in need and therefore she owed her life to the metal. She could imagine what would have happened without it at the battle of Sudegam. Searon was indeed strong. Stronger than she could have imagined. Perhaps the warlock was right. He did need to be removed. His efforts seemed to link the humans and elves together and that wasn’t a good sign. It was good that he was too busy with Sudegam to travel back to his allies to the east. Besides that these small villages had not been touched by his presence. With the rumors Arria listened in for it seemed he had not even come back near the village since he left ten years ago.

She was close now and she could feel it. There was still one more village she would have to cross before it would be nothing but forests to the destroyed village, Death Valley. She wondered if it had become a valley or these humans just called it that for its bad luck. It was indeed bad luck if the village had been destroyed all but Searon, the single purpose it was targeted in the first place.

Arria slowed her pace and peered through an opening between rose bushes to see two young boys playing. They had a pinecone that they continued to toss back and forth with laughter. One had raven hair and the other bronze. It was cut over their head like a bowl and the bronze hair was tangled with curls while the raven was straight. There was so much innocence with these two boys. How sweet it would taste to be able to destroy it.

She walked out of the shadows holding two roses, both white, which she twirled between each of her fingers. The boys looked at her in shock but not fear. The pinecone was already airborne flying towards the raven haired boy. He did not see it and Arria nearly laughed when it contacted his face in a thud. The boy grunted and scratched at his nose before turning to look back at Arria. Still there was no fear within these two boys. Arria gave great respect to those that held no fear for her. Besides Searon in his one moment of passion for that weak elf he held affection for, there was nobody besides children who did not fear her.

“What are your names?” Arria smiled.

“I’m Kelvnar and this is Vaelyn.” The boy with black hair said.

“Those are nice names.” Arria said kneeling onto the ground.

“Who are you?” Vaelyn asked.

“My name is Arria.” She said with a smile.

“What are you?” Kelvnar asked.

Her smile broadened slightly and she cuffed her hands in both their hair behind their ears. “I am an elf.”

“An elf?” Vaelyn asked.

“Yes.”

“You’re beautiful.” Kelvnar said.

She smiled again. It was not a word she heard often especially after the change. A long time ago she would hear it every day from one of the king’s guards. Vil’ek, her smile broadened as she thought of that name. She would make him hers once again. Nobody had called her beautiful after the change despite the fact that she felt more beautiful now. She knew that Zergiel found her beautiful but the fool would never touch her. Vil’ek was the only who would be allowed to touch her. Of course that wouldn’t stop her from touching others, but she had full right to.