The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 36

Chapter 36:

[Karceoles’ POV]

            Karceoles grimaced as he paced the walls of Sudegam, staring below into the ranks of draeyks and daerions that burned the wilderness below. There were thousands upon thousands of them scattered about, and although they did not have organization, it would not matter with the numbers they held. In the midst of them a man on a black stallion could be found, his horse neighing into the night, thrusting its front legs into the air. The man’s long black hair and beard swam with the wind, freckled with white, his zylek reached high into the air as he rallied his creatures.

            Zergiel.

            Hatred, despise, and fear overcame Karceoles. He looked around him on the pace thick wall to all of the elven and human archers that surrounded him. Sh’on stood near him, breath caught in his throat as he realized how outnumbered they were. Even thousands of Nacropi entwined through the ranks, as well as pale face men that necromancers had brought back without a soul.

            “These walls are wood, and they have fire, I do not know how long we can last before we are breached.” Karceoles said.

            “The walls are enchanted from ages past by druids. They will not easily burn.” Vil’ek said as he stepped up to the wizard’s side.

            “Good, that is at least something to buy us time,” Karceoles breathed. “And yet it will not save them.”

            “Where is Searon, why has he not returned?” Vil’ek asked.

            “If he is not here it is because he ran into trouble. He would not abandon you.” Sh’on spoke.

            “Let us hope he did not run into that.” Vil’ek gestured towards the massive dark army.

            “He did not.” Karceoles said.

            “How do you know?” Sh’on asked.

            “I know Zergiel. If he had Searon, he would proudly display him bound to kill in front of us.”

            Sh’on gulped and nodded.

            Horns bellowed into the wind with an eerie low tune. They were daerion horns that had been cut from the dead and hollowed out to make a specific sound. The entire front row of daerions blew their horns into the wind. Next a line of draeyks stepped forward and blew into smaller black horns that screeched, making most men clasp their ears. Karceoles recognized them as draeyk claws, most likely taken from their feet.

            The trunk of a large sequoia tree heaved into the air atop draeyks and daerions alike. Vil’ek tensed as he mourned the death of the tree, and then flinched as he saw them running ahead towards the gate with it. Karceoles placed his hand on Vil’ek’s shoulder and he relaxed.

            A woman with raven hair and long pointed ears walked up to the captain. “They are in range milord.”

            Vil’ek nodded, “Fire at will.”

            She dipped her head and turned, “Loose!” she screamed into the wind.

            Arrows fluttered across the sky with as much harmony as a swarm of dragonflies. Many pierced into the creatures holding the trunk, and many fell. Some lost balance and the tree nearly collapsed, but before it could, fresh bodies took the place of the dead or injured and they continued to com.