The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 15

Chapter 15:

[Vil’ek POV]

            A daze of confusion enveloped the room as they didn’t know what to do next. Elsargast still lay in Anaela’s rms. Searon gently grabbed her away and stood her up next to him and hugged her tighter.  Blood soaked one of her hands and now the king’s blood was on Searon’s armor. He looked down to the lifeless body and sighed. Often he wished that the king could see the bigger picture of everything and would have helped sooner. It may have caused so much less grief, but there’s no time to think ill of the dead. No, now it is time to honor his life.

            Vil’ek limped into the room and stared at Searon and Anaela for a moment before his gaze traveled down to his king. His knees became weak and he fell to his knees on the ground crying out.

            “Noooo!” Vil’ek screamed. The air that was so quiet now broke in chills with his scream. It was the loudest remark of an elf that Searon had ever heard.

            For the first time Searon saw fresh tears escalading down the elf warrior’s face. His life and his home were now destroyed. Searon couldn’t even imagine how long the elf had spent under the service of the king, but he had been his right hand man forever and he couldn’t imagine the pain the elf was going through.

            Slowly Searon walked his way over to the elven warrior and declined his head and rested his hand on Vil’ek’s shoulder. The elf looked up to the human in awe of his sentiment and clasped his hand on top of the human warrior. Vil’ek pinched his eyes tight and when they opened they were bloodshot so bad it could barely be known that his eyes were gray.  He seemed to gather his courage and arose to his feet with the help of Searon and gently walked over to his king. Bowing he took the king’s hand in his and gently kissed it while quietly saying a prayer looking at the heavens.

            “Where is his sword?” Vil’ek asked.

            “She took it.” Searon replied.

            Rage soon filled Vil’ek’s face in place of his sorrow. He turned back to his king and let his facial features fall back into a calm face. Carefully he lifted the king into his arms and turned for the door.

            “Is it-?” A strong voice echoed but quit mid-sentence.

            Karceoles stood in the doorway.  His mouth hung open as he stared at Vil’ek and the king in his arms. All the playful energy that usually filled his face was now gone. Vil’ek tried to get past him but he blocked the way staring down at the end with widened eyes. He touched his forehead and an orange glow left his fingertips but nothing else happened. Karceoles shook his head and stared at the ground. Vil’ek once again tried to rush past him but the wizard grabbed the elf’s arm.

            “My lord, there is an army on its way… there is no time for serenity of the king. In his absence you are to make decisions now until a new heir to the throne is properly appointed. You are needed.” Karceoles said bowing slightly for the first time towards an elf.

            Vil’ek looked from his king back to the wizard and gulped. He seemed to know that the old man was right and looked around for anything at his disposal. His eyes came in contact with Anaela and she immediately bowed to him.

            “Anaela… find me six elf maidens to properly prepare the king for his burial.” Vil’ek ordered.

            “At once my sire…” Anaela responded leaving the room.