The Obsidian Arrow: Epilogue

Epilogue:

[Raven’s POV]

                In the center of a large tent sat Raven with legs crossed and head bowed. Starlyn had resided in the same tent before she abandoned them. How little the high elf knew was still amazing to Raven. She should know by now that there was nowhere to hide from the Ikchani. Soon all of Calthoria would be ruled by them.

                She pondered over Starlyn’s presence. The elf had a unique way of bringing people together, but she cared naught about the woman rights. Had all of her words been false, besides that, had she been truly ill? Elves were not supposed to grow ill. Many suspected her apparent weakness, but Raven had been there, had seen the pain in Starlyn’s eyes.

                The reason question remained – was Starlyn in league with the men in the south? She went through an awful lot of trouble to convince them to spare an onslaught. Raven felt disgust crawl from her toes like a caterpillar. She sprang to her feet and grabbed her scarlet cloak to drape over her near-naked body.

                Tent flaps opened as she secured her cloak in a seductive fashion. Two men wearing rags as clothes entered holding trays of fruit. Before they could get too far the chains around their necks pulled tightly. Both stopped abruptly and tried to hide clenched teeth from the pain.

                Viero entered, scepter in one hand and chains in the other. A smirk graced her lips that taunted amusement. She glared at Raven with eyes of hatred and respect. She brushed her flaring blond hair from her eyes and coughed.

                “Please tell me you’re not still upset over losing your elf pet?” Viero said.

                Raven’s eyes sparked rays of ice at the other woman. Her fists clenched around her scepter in honest consideration of burning her to ash.

                “Tsk… tsk. Now, now – don’t be hasty. You don’t even know why I’ve come.” Viero said.

                “If you’ve come to taunt me, please, spare me.”

                “That is only part of my coming here.”

                Raven shot a devouring glance towards the woman.

                Viero laughed, “Very well. However, don’t get mad at me because you couldn’t talk the elf into your bed.”

                “She played us all… especially me.”

                “I have news that will cheer you up.”

                “The scouts have found her?” Raven asked, desperation flooding her shaky voice.

                “As if you would be that lucky. No, this news is not good for you, but for me. I have found someone that will be of great use to us.”

                The curtains opened once more and with them a chill in the air crept shivers down Raven’s spine. A woman clad in black and silver plate-mail stepped inside, her charcoal skin gleaming in the candlelight. She wore a flamberge at her hip and a grin on her face that wouldn’t allow Raven’s chill departure.

                Her beauty astonished Raven so that she fell hypnotized to her knees. The woman smiled, showing peal white teeth to match her wavy hair. Purple eyes glowered, amused, down at Raven. She reached her hand out and gently lifted Raven’s head to stare perplexed into her terrible eyes.

                “Child, I hear you have failed containing my sister.”

                “I am sorry mistress, truly I am.” Raven blurted.

                Cruel laughter, echoed like stones, tore through the tent. The woman unsheathed a dagger and pressed it to Raven’s throat firm enough to draw blood.

                “Normally I would find your failure punishable by death… however,” the woman trailed off removing her dagger, “Today I am feeling generous.”

                “Who are you?” Raven gasped.

                An eyebrow rose on the fierce woman’s face. “My name is Arria, and I am your new master.”

                “Master?” Raven asked.

                “Do you prefer death?”

                Raven hesitated for only a moment, “No.”

                “Good. I have been told the Ikchani desire power over these weak nations of Calthoria.”

                “Yes lady Arria.”

                “There is a powerful man in Calthoria, he has destroyed a warlock, and most of the draeyks and daerions of this land. The rest are in hiding, never to return in this century. His name is Searon.” Arria whispered distastefully.

                “I have heard of him.”

                Arria grinned, “I have someone he wants.”

                Raven stared at the woman, head tilted and lips half scrunched. Arria tugged a chain at her side roughly and it screamed back at her. A woman stepped through the flaps, a thin silver chain choking her neck. Her ears were pointed like Starlyn’s had been, but not as extensive, and she stood without a lace of clothing, leaving her flawless body exposed except for her shoulders that were curtained with matted brunette hair. Red welts covered her body from shoulders to ankles, but even so her body gleamed perfection. Raven felt a warm feeling in the pit of her stomach as she yearned to touch the woman.

                “Who is she?”

                “Her name is Anaela, and she is the only known wood elf. With her, the others may come out of hiding and bow before us. She is Starlyn’s friend and so we can also win the high elves. And last, she is Searon’s romantic interest. He is the general of the human alliance, and his brother Noraes is a leader in the south.”

                “With her we can control everybody…” Raven whispered.

                Arria grinned, “Yes… yes we can. But first – we must find my darling sister.”