The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

[Arria POV]

            The wind was cold at it blew at her face. She walked swiftly, yet silent. She had to go out of her way to dodge every dry leaf and twig. Mostly dried pine leaves, but there were also plenty of maple trees around. It was no longer summer, but not yet fall. Still the premature leaves scattered the ground.

            She looked through the trees, she still saw nothing but blackness. The stars were dull this night, covered in clouds. She smiled at her luck, or was it more than luck. She could see better at night than anyone else, even elves. Her vision was like an owl’s at night, she was now nocturnal. She was still fine at day, but she preferred night.

            Sudegam was still miles away, but that didn’t stop her from being careful. She had to evade their guards, and since they were elves, she was careful. She learned a long time ago to never underestimate the elves. If she were evading humans, she could run full speed and not be worried.

            It had been so long since she traveled freely through the forests. She had spent so much time in hiding, awaiting the moment she could strike again. Once she had tried but she saw something she didn’t expect… humans. She still didn’t know what her sister was doing with a human.

            She knew that the old wizard was having trouble with the elves and knew it would only be a matter of time until he sought her out. A smile sprang upon her lips as she realized how dependent he was on her. She would play along with his game for now, but there wasn’t any telling how long it would be until she grew bored of his… games.

            She saw an elf perched up in a tree keeping an eye on the surroundings. The elf wore only leather armor. Arria smiled as she tapped her finger through the air creating a noise behind the elf. The beautiful female elf turned around searching for the noise. Arria was already climbing up the tree. When the elf turned back around there was already a dagger against her throat. Arria looked into the eyes of the beautiful blond elf. Her eyes were full of fear, Arria smiled as she slit her throat. The elf’s body collapsed and Arria caught her and put her on her back.

            Arria looked at the quick sand in front of her and smiled. It was such a foolish magic trap. She didn’t have to carry the elf on her back for long now. She threw the elf from her back into the quick sand, watching her disappear in seconds.

            She continued on, not wanting to waste any time to complete her mission. The thing Zergiel had asked her to do brought a smile upon her face. She knew he possessed cruelty, but even this quest surprised her. It was dangerous, but well within her abilities.

            She knew where every elf guard would be on the way to Sudegam, and she planned to eliminate them all. Every fall of an elf made the land a better place for her. How dare the elves cast her out, they didn’t understand. The elves were scared that magic couldn’t be controlled. How foolish of them, Arria was well in control of it. At first the magic overwhelmed her, but now she knew how to use it. With her mother no more, all that was left was the elves who took her away. She remembered too well what happened during the war.

            In the distance she could see two male elf guards in full armor blocking the only path leading towards Sudegam. She hid behind a tree as she used her black magic to create a commotion of noise coming from down far. The two guards pulled out their swords and ran the path. They searched to see if the war was about to start. As they passed her, she came from the tree and ran past their guard post. Before she continued on she poured some black magic in their canteen.