The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 37

Chapter 37:

[Searon’s POV]

Searon looked around the chaos and almost thought his eyes deceived him. His grin faded as he stepped forward to clasp Andron in a half hug. The captain appeared haggard, his eyes were sunken – making him look like a raccoon.

“It is good to see you again general.” Andron said.

“I wish I never left.” Searon said.

“There won’t be reinforcements then.” Andron stated rather than asked.

“No.”

“Where is Anaela?”

“Captured. Arria took her.” Searon sighed.

“Starlyn’s sister?” Andron asked.

“Yes, how do we look here?”

“Without a miracle – we won’t last the night.”

“I see.”

“Do you have any ideas?” Andron asked.

“Nothing comes to mind.”

“Excellent, shall we get started then?”

“After you,” Searon grinned.

Both of them stepped forward to relieve a few of the men at the front ranks. The daerions had ceased ramming into them for a time, making their lines solider. Without the distraction of the creatures, draeyks couldn’t sneak to the walls and climb. Searon’s claymore shone with the brightest crimson, making him a target. His skill surpassed that of any of his foes and with Andron’s help he slaughtered countless draeyks that fell at his feet.

All the warriors fought harder when they saw Searon’s return. He was thrilled to be back with his men, but he couldn’t get his mind away from Anaela. She had been taken from him, and all that stuck in his mind was finding Arria and making her pay. He fully intended to get Anaela back. After the battle he would leave in pursuit, but not yet, he could not abandon his men.

The odds were overwhelming, and there seemed little chance of making it out alive, let alone winning the battle. He searched for anything that could be considered an advantage. It seemed hopeless, there were too many. He wondered how Zergiel could amass such a large force so swiftly. They seemed better coordinated than the last time. The warlock seemed to know where to hit. With the human nations separated with politics and conflicts, the largest stronghold would be that of the elves.

Zergiel was the key, and his necromancers. Without leadership there would be little coordination between the draeyks and daerions. Searon knew they had to be close enough to relay the attack patterns, but far enough from the front lines from being spotted.

He looked around for anything he could use to spot them.  The elven buildings surrounding them were made of bark or vines rather than stone. They looked to be much easier to climb compared to human stone, but Searon still doubted. He was no climber, his brother had been more agile than he.

Searon stepped back and grabbed Andron’s shoulder. The two of them squeezed back through the ranks of elves and men to where they could talk. He looked around and noticed thick violet vines traveling up three stories.

“We have to find a viewpoint. If we can locate Zergiel and the necromancers - we may be able to scatter their defenses.” Searon said.

Andron stepped forward and felt the vines for security. “They seem stable enough.” He looked up and gulped. “Long way up.”

Searon nodded and hid his skepticism. Andron turned and spoke to a man before starting to climb up. Searon followed. He wasn’t as fast at it as Andron and when he neared the top his foot slipped and he almost fell. When he looked down he tensed, but before he could think he felt a hand grip around his wrist. Andron grunted as he hauled Searon on top of the building.