The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

[Searon POV]

            The burning desire to be with her swirled through Searon’s mind as he walked alongside her in the forest. He didn’t know where they were going, nor did he ask. Instead he kept silent awaiting a good time for him to speak with her. The worry on her face seemed more relaxed now yet not diminished. She barely tossed a glance his way but when she did Searon would smile at her causing her to quickly turn away and blush. It made Searon’s smile grown even more when he saw her embarrassment.

            The forest was awfully quiet for being so close to Sudegam. They were only on the outskirts of Sudegam where the birds and animals always made noise, but this time it was silent.  Chills ran down Searon’s spine as he realized how much this war was affecting not only them but all the creatures of the land.

            A frightened squirrel danced across the ground and seeing Searon it attempted to dive from sight. Anaela bent down and held out her hand whispering to the squirrel that in turn rose from its hiding place to stare at the elf. For a moment they both looked at each other until Anaela smiled and the squirrel ran up her arm and perched on her shoulder. It warmed Searon’s heart to see such a genuine smile upon her saddened lips. She rose to her feet now and continued leading the way with the squirrel on her shoulder.

            Soon they stood before Aliqua of the elves where Anaela bowed before greeting her. Searon continued to watch the two beautiful elves as he stood in the background. Aliqua’s chocolate skin and cherry lips were still intriguing to Searon.

            “Have you noticed anything strange in the last few days?” Anaela asked.

            Aliqua’s face soon darkened with worry as she looked at her old friend. Casually she tossed her hair back from her face and bit her lip. “A few spell casters have gone missing… and some of our magic traps deactivated.”

            Anaela’s face dropped into solemn worry and she turned to Searon a gulp forming in her throat. Her eyes seemed to sparkle in fear almost in that of a tear. Searon decided to talk up to her and comfort her. Not knowing how to comfort her he choose to take her hand in his which caused a glare from both her and Aliqua.

            “Everything will be okay, we will find out what is going on… I promise.” Searon said.

            Instead of jerking her hand away from his instead her grip loosened and her hand became laced with his which cause a sensation of shivers through his body. She turned to Aliqua who looked at them in wonder. “Where was the last place you’ve noticed a disturbance?”

            “Five miles north.” Aliqua replied.

            Anaela shook her head and removed her hand from Searon’s turning to leave.

            “Anaela…” Aliqua whispered.

            Anaela turned around already biting her bottom lip in thought looking at her old friend. It was unsettling for Searon to see her biting her lip as they were one of her features that he couldn’t help to ignore. He too looked to Aliqua waiting for her next words.

            “Be careful… both of you.” She said.

            Anaela nodded and grabbed Searon’s hand to follow her into the forest.

            After a few miles of traveling Searon noticed something and stopped in his tracks. Anaela seemed to not notice and continued walking but he was no longer paying attention to her. Slowly he kneeled down to the ground grazing his hand on the ground.