The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

[Searon’s POV]

            Searon held his striped horse’s reins loosely as he felt the secured arms of Anaela tugging at his waist. The black and white stripes gave a dizzying effect to anybody trying to stare at the horse while it galloped. He kept his stallion to a light trot though so he could contain his thoughts as they made their way south through the sunset. It was a stunning sunset with shades of purple and pink hovering at the horizon across an orange sun. The clouds were sparse in the brisk sky and the weather only a slight chill to tickle at Searon’s nostrils.

            He thought of everything that had occurred earlier during the day after he was able to get Anaela out of the informatory. They discussed with both Karceoles and Sh’on about the dire need to leave and find more allies. Both were reluctant at first, especially Karceoles, but they came to realize they could use all the help they could get after the last battle. The city was still in ruins and no matter how quickly the elves were at rebuilding it would still never be the same. Sh’on knew that she was weak and offered healing which she gratefully accepted. Searon still saw that she was weak though and had suggested that she ride with him and rest. The look on her face had been sour at first but after a few steps of arguing she complied.

            Andron had offered his assistance at their departure, but Searon respectfully declined telling the young warrior to look after the anxious men for him. He knew that Andron’s skill on the battlefield exceeded any other of the warriors and his sense of battle outweighed the rest. Regretfully Searon silently admitted that Andron’s battle tactics might even excel his own, though he would never admit to it out loud. It seemed the young man’s hardship and knowledge only increased since he returned from the dead. At least that was what everybody had thought when he reappeared to greet them all. Searon only hoped that no corruption had reached the warrior.

            The biggest thing that tugged at Searon’s mind though was Starlyn. There were no feelings there past that of a sister that he never had. He had always wished he had a sister growing up but instead he only had a brother. His brother could not be replaced though and Searon loved him more than anything in the world. Noraes was his only family left and he was so proud of his younger brother with his accomplishments of being a captain in a city. Often there were times when he wondered what the young man was up to.

            He quickly dispelled such thoughts as he thought about Starlyn once again. She had taken off with barely a word. There were a few words to him but he came to realize that nobody else knew anything. She hadn’t even gone to Anaela, her best friend, to say goodbye to her. It was so strange to him that she had just taken off. Never before had she done such a thing especially in the midst of an incoming battle. When she was with the elves she pushed to raise the others to battle for what was right and now that it was finally happening again she had taken off. She was still pursuing her sister in efforts to bring her to justice. Searon still remembered the promise he made to her that no harm would become of her sister. He would still keep that promise and if he had a chance he would capture Arria for her.

            “What is on your mind?” Anaela asked gently tugging at his waist.

            “Starlyn.” He blurted without a thought.

            “Oh.” She sighed quickly removing her hands from his waist.

            Bewildered he turned around to see her avoiding his gaze and staring at the ground. Her cheeks were puffed slightly red making the small amount of freckles on her face sparkle. She looked sad with regret in her sizzling green eyes. Her hands dangled to the side of the horse for a moment before holding steady at the horse’s rear.